Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Xinhuan Zheng <xi...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/07 21:30:29 UTC

ERD Diagram and Seed Data

Good Afternoon,

I'm a developer working for some digital company. My use case is not too general, and is simpler than OFBiz. It is for a small business. I have maintained a few Excel spreadsheet for a few years for some business asset. The spreadsheet are not formal modeled, and from time to time we maintain and query those sheets. The data present characteristics of hierarchy structure and different attribute sets for different kind types.  Maintaining those data in database may require formal data modeling and I am not clear how it works.

I came across an old publication about Universal E-Catalog, and I learned about OFBiz project. I want to learn Key-Value pair modeling pattern. I downloaded the OFBiz ERD diagrams. I studied the ERD diagrams for a couple days, and what I'm interested is Product, ProductType, Content, ContentType, Entities that use Universal E-Catalog pattern. You can correct me if that is not the case. This modeling pattern needs to have seed data to understand, and I found the best way to view the seed data is using Excel spreadsheet. I found the project on Github containing Seed data, however, all Seed data are XML format. Is there any possibilities to extract some XML seed data to convert to CSV format? From the ERD diagram, I think I need Product, ProductType, ProductTypeAttr, Content, ContentType, ContentAttr seed data.

Thank you!

Xinhuan Zheng

Re: ERD Diagram and Seed Data

Posted by Nicola Mazzoni <ni...@mpstyle.it>.
Hi Xinhuan,
to understand the data model (and save a lot of time!) it was very useful
for me to read "Data Model Resource Book", which is the basis of the OFBiz
data model.
Best regards

--
Nicola Mazzoni

*Mp Styl**e Srl*
via Meucci, 37
41019 Limidi di Soliera (MO)
T 059/684916
M 347/9905529

www.mpstyle.it

Re: ERD Diagram and Seed Data

Re: ERD Diagram and Seed Data

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Zheng,

Your message has been moderated, else it would not have reached this Mailing List.

Please subscribe to the user ML for such questions and then use your email client.

You will get a better support, people can answer you on the ML.
The wider the audience the better the answers you might get.

Also it's more work for moderators who have to accept your messages as long as you have not subscribed.
I'll personally no longer accept them (other moderators still could).

Thanks

This said https://markmail.org/message/vrmvi27yepqvewzj is the more recent answer on this subject. If you want to know more you may review
https://ofbiz.markmail.org/search/?q=excel

Also https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Export+to+Excel could interest you

HTH (please remember to answer on user ML and not here, TIA)

Jacques