Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> on 2013/10/22 11:38:20 UTC

[dev] [VOTE] Release Apache Libcloud 0.14.0-beta2

This is a voting thread for Libcloud 0.14.0-beta2. This release includes
the same changes as 0.14.0-beta1 with addition of some new changes. Most
notably an addition of "STOPPED" node state and support for new "hkg"
region in the Rackspace drivers.

The reason this is a beta and not a final release is that it includes some
relatively big changes. I would like those changes to get some more
real-life testing before doing a final release.

This release includes many new features, improvements and some backward
incompatible changes.

Release highlights:

- To make working with providers which support multiple regions easier and
more user-friendly, some of the drivers have moved from "one class per
region" to a single class plus "region" argument model. Those drivers
include: EC2, Rackspace, ElasticHosts, Joyent, CloudFiles
- Programmatic way of updating pricing file and ability to specify a custom
pricing file.
- Addition of block storage management methods to the following drivers:
OpenNebula, OpenStack, EC2
- Unification of extension arguments for handling security groups in the
EC2 and OpenStack driver
- Many new features and improvements in the CloudStack driver
- New compute and loadbalancer driver for Google Compute Engine (GCE)
- Ability to export Libcloud's DNS zone to BIND zone format
- and much more!

Other non-code changes worth a mention:

- Tests now also run on travis-ci - https://travis-ci.org/apache/libcloud
- Mirror of the new documentation is now also available on RTD -
https://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

As noted above, some of the changes are backward incompatible. Information
on how those changes affect existing users and how to update your code to
make it work with this release can be found in the "Upgrade Notes" section
in the documentation -
https://ci.apache.org/projects/libcloud/docs/upgrade_notes.html#libcloud-0-14-0

If everything goes according to plan, 0.14.x will also be the last major
release before Libcloud 1.0.0.

Change log
can be found at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=libcloud.git;a=blob;f=CHANGES;hb=refs/tags/0.14.0-beta2-tenative#l3

Release artifacts can be found at http://people.apache.org/~tomaz/libcloud/.

Please test the release and post your votes.

+/- 1
[  ]  Release Apache Libcloud 0.14.0-beta2

Vote will be opened until October 25th, 2013 (or longer, if needed).

Thanks,
Tomaz

Re: [dev] [VOTE] Release Apache Libcloud 0.14.0-beta2

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
Closing this vote thread - vote has NOT passed.

The reason for that is that we didn't receive enough votes and Sebastien
discovered an issue which needs to be fixed before a next release.

I will prepare a new release (0.14.0-beta3) and start a voting thread as
soon as the CloudStack issue has been fixed and proper tests have been
added.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Carr <jo...@me.com>.