Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "Greenberg, Gary" <gg...@visa.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/07 20:29:46 UTC

Error badge on the correct code

I have in one of my projects JSON file.
At some point in time, while I was still editing it, it had errors.
However, these errors were fixed long time ago, but in project file marked with the red error badge.
Netbeans was restarted several times and my laptop was rebooted recently. The badge is still there.
How can I get rid of it, short of removing userdir?
I am working on several projects and have over 30 files open. Hate to reload everything.
My environment: NB 11.1, Java 8, Win 10pro.
Gary Greenberg
Staff Software Engineer
Data Product Development, BI-A
E: ggreenbe@visa.com
M: 650-269-7902

[EmailSig-TaglineVersion]

Re: Error badge on the correct code

Posted by Brenden Towey <br...@gmail.com>.

On 5/8/2020 10:48 AM, Eirik Bakke wrote:

> I'd love to have a "Clean Cache" button, in particular.
>
> -- Eirik

I've seen similar things on for example the About window, where an
application has a few "fix me" type tools that might be used in case of
problems.  Maybe instead of an isolated button we look for a good window
to tack this onto, with the expectation there the might be a few more
"fix me" buttons added in the future.

RE: Error badge on the correct code

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
> Seems really awful product-wise to have a recommendation for a 'Restart IDE' plugin!
> Now that I think about it, a 'Clean Cache' button somewhere would actually make sense. I wonder why we don't have this.

I think of it as "multi-layered defense"--features that make a large class of bugs, including even _future_ bugs, less critical.

Posted by Ty Young <yo...@gmail.com>.
On 5/8/20 12:42 AM, Alan wrote:
> On 2020-05-08 01:17, Emilian Bold wrote:
>> Seems really awful product-wise to have a recommendation for a
>> 'Restart IDE' plugin!
>>
> It's just realistic. Every complex program has bugs of one sort or
> another. Memory leaks or some broken data structure, an index that
> doesn't get cleaned up and thus gets slower and slower. A cosmic ray
> flips a bit that ECC doesn't detect...
>
> If something goes weird, like line numbers start disappearing in an
> editor, you can wait for whatever causes that to start doing some real
> damage or just start clean. Sometimes it's a good reminder to restart
> your whole system for exactly the same reasons. It is frustrating but
> "have you tried turning it off and back on again" still resolves a
> disturbingly large number of technical support issues.
>
> Restarts are going to be required until all code is perfect... until
> then a mechanism to make it relatively painless isn't a bad thing.

Some of that, at least under a Linux based system, is because of the way
system software is updated. Updating software while the system is
running is bound to cause major issues.

Anyway, I've had issues like this ever since I started using Netbeans.
Often times the editor shows a red line as if there were an error but no
red badge or red mark in the scroll bar. I have to restart the IDE to
fix it.

Re: Error badge on the correct code

Posted by Alan <ne...@ambitonline.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.

Posted by Alan <ne...@ambitonline.com>.
On 2020-05-07 16:29, Greenberg, Gary wrote:

> I have in one of my projects JSON file.
> At some point in time, while I was still editing it, it had errors.
> However, these errors were fixed long time ago, but in project file
> marked with the red error badge.
>
> Netbeans was restarted several times and my laptop was rebooted
> recently. The badge is still there.
> How can I get rid of it, short of removing userdir?
>
> I am working on several projects and have over 30 files open. Hate to
> reload everything.
>
> My environment: NB 11.1, Java 8, Win 10pro.
>
> Gary Greenberg
>
> Staff Software Engineer

There is a "Restart IDE" plugin from the 8.2 repository that still works
and makes that process far less painful.

Re: Error badge on the correct code

Posted by Elmar <ne...@elmar-baumann.de>.
Am 08.05.20 um 23:48 schrieb Greenberg, Gary:
> That was working. Thank you very much.
> Still do not understand why it did not clear the error when I deleted
> the whole Cache directory.

When the complete cache is deleted, it will be recreated. While
recreating, NetBeans repeats the bug: Interpreting correct code as an error.

Regards,
Elmar

RE: Error badge on the correct code

Posted by Bilu <al...@gmail.com>.