Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Christopher Benson <be...@mindspring.com> on 2001/05/07 18:59:11 UTC

Problem with JSP in Tomcat calling JavaBean that uses Xalan 2

I created a bean that can be called from a JSP or by directly instantiating
it from main().  The bean uses an XML file and an XSLT file, both of which
are valid.  When I run the bean using the main() method, it works correctly
and prints the correct HTML output to the console.  However, when I call the
bean from the JSP below in Tomcat, it gives me the following error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Response has already been committed

I already know that an IllegalStateException "signals that a method has been
invoked at an illegal or inappropriate time. In other words, the Java
environment or Java application is not in an appropriate state for the
requested operation."

I don't know how to solve it though.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Christopher Benson
benson@mindspring.com
package com.christopherbenson;

import java.io.*;
import javax.xml.transform.*;
import javax.xml.transform.stream.*;

public class TransformationBean
{

  public TransformationBean(){}

  public static void main(String[] args)
    throws Exception
  {
    TransformationBean bean = new TransformationBean();
    try
    {
      bean.setXMLdoc("C:/Temp/test.xml");
      bean.setXSLTdoc("C:/Temp/test.xsl");
      String x = bean.getResult();
      System.out.println(x);
    }
    catch (Exception e)
    {
      System.out.println(e.toString());
    }
  }

  private String xmlsource = null;
  private String xsltsource = null;

  public void setXMLdoc(String xmldoc)
  throws FileNotFoundException, IOException
  {
    BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(xmldoc));
    String s, s2 = new String();
    while((s = in.readLine())!= null)
      s2 += s + "\n";
    in.close();
    xmlsource = s2;
  }

  public void setXSLTdoc(String xsltdoc)
  throws FileNotFoundException, IOException
  {
    BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(xsltdoc));
    String t, t2 = new String();
    while((t = in.readLine())!= null)
      t2 += t + "\n";
    in.close();
    xsltsource = t2;

  }

  public String getResult()
    throws TransformerException, TransformerFactoryConfigurationError,
    TransformerConfigurationException, IOException //SAXException
  {
    try
    {
      Transformer transformer = tFactory.newTransformer(new StreamSource(new
StringReader(xsltsource)));
      StringWriter resultWriter = new StringWriter();
      StreamResult TheResult = new StreamResult(resultWriter);
      transformer.transform(new StreamSource(new StringReader(xmlsource)),
TheResult);
      String result = resultWriter.toString();
      return result;
    }
    catch (Exception e)
    {
      String result = e.getMessage();
      return result;
    }
  }

}

<%@ page language="java" %>
<jsp:useBean id="bean" class="com.christopherbenson.TransformationBean" />
<%
bean.setXMLdoc("C:/Temp/test.xml");
bean.setXSLTdoc("C:/Temp/test.xsl");
String result = bean.getResult();