Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2008/01/19 15:31:37 UTC

Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

I am thinking that it would be a good idea to avoid a long delay between
3.3-RC3 and 3.3 final.  Is there anything outstanding that needs to be
worked on before 3.3 final?

Scott

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Brendan Miller <bm...@dotster.com>.

>> Will there be a do-all-the-stuff-that-doesn't-justify-another-version
>> version soon?  Can we have a 3.4 plan that does some of these "leftovers"
>> without waiting another year?  I've written lots of workaround code for
>> TORQUE-107, but we maintain our own copy of Village for TORQUE-8.
>> Getting rid of these types of issues would make development with Torque
>> a lot easier.
>>
> While I commend you on raising these issues and I know you are working on
> providing test cases for them, the basic problem here is that these issues
> have been raised very late in the 3.3 development cycle (which for many
> reasons we do not want to extend any further) and they have not been
> confirmed to exist via test cases (yes, you have provided one now and are
> working on the other) or reports from other users.

That totally makes sense.  I wasn't necessarily looking to extend the
3.3 release cycle either.  I guess I should rephrase what I said earlier
as "What are the post-3.3 plans?"  I'm not looking for my "pet" release
(okay, maybe a little), but I guess I was looking for hope that the things
I can fix or contribute toward can make it into some subsequent release.

I have used Torque for years, but never followed development as closely
as I do now.

> I have taken the following specific actions:
> 1. TORQUE-8: I have resurrected the Village test case, added a test case
> for this issue and the problem does not occur.  I have also noted that the
> documentation indicates that it the ResultSet objects are automatically
> closed.

Yes, I read of this.  We earlier thought we were experiencing the
issues described in TORQUE-8, which is why I brought it to life with
the patch that I previously provided.  We were only running with a
patched Village on a small project that was query heavy and running
out of cursors.  At this point, I'm not sure if that was the problem
or not.  I'll eventually make it back to retesting (thanks for the test
case!) and see if I can re-create in a Village-only environment, and
re-open if necessary.  I have read the ResultSet documentation as well
and noted their "auto-close" behavior, so I'm not sure from where our
cursor problems stemmed.

> 2. TORQUE-107: I have had a fairly close look and have been unable to spot
> a code path that will lead to this problem.  If this is indeed a problem
> then it has been there for a long time without being reported so I think
> users will survive until the next point release.

I have had numerous cases that will exhibit the problem in our
application code; I simply need to sit down and write something
standalone or in the framework of the Torque test project (thanks
for the link, BTW).

> 3. TORQUE-108: Now that you have supplied a test case I am reasonably
> comfortable with this going in - the decision is not mine to make but I can
> make it an option on the release vote (i.e. there will be a secondary vote
> as to whether or not to include this in 3.3 final).

Like I said, it doesn't have to be in 3.3 final if the project voters
decide it shouldn't.  My only hope is that it doesn't languish for a
long time before the next release.  I basically want to minimize the
length of time I have to maintain my own patchset.

Thanks for your feedback and direction.

Brendan

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Posted by Brendan Miller <bm...@dotster.com>.
> A patch is great (we welcome and appreciate all contributions), but a patch
> that includes a test case that fails before the patch is applied and passes
> after should result in the patch being applied quicker than when no test
> case is provided.

A splendid development paradigm.  I'll see what I can do. :)

Brendan

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Posted by Brendan Miller <bm...@dotster.com>.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Brendan Miller wrote:
>> There ist the templates issue torque-107,
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TORQUE-107
>> but this has been around for a while and I di not think it justifies
>> another version in itself, so +1 for a early 3.3 final.
>>

> Will there be a do-all-the-stuff-that-doesn't-justify-another-version
> version soon?  Can we have a 3.4 plan that does some of these "leftovers"
> without waiting another year?  I've written lots of workaround code for
> TORQUE-107, but we maintain our own copy of Village for TORQUE-8.
> Getting rid of these types of issues would make development with Torque
> a lot easier
Two words: Test cases.

Posted by Brendan Miller <bm...@dotster.com>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
> I am thinking that it would be a good idea to avoid a long delay between
> 3.3-RC3 and 3.3 final.  Is there anything outstanding that needs to be worked
> on before 3.3 final?

There ist the templates issue torque-107,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TORQUE-107
but this has been around for a while and I di not think it justifies
another version in itself, so +1 for a early 3.3 final.

I'm away on holiday now for two weeks, but I'd vote +1 on a vote to
release 3.3RC3 as 3.3

     Thomas

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <ek...@gmail.com>.
Thomas,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.  It makes sense to me why we
moved the non-base classes into the src/main tree by default.  For our case,
we only want them in the src/main tree once we decide to improve them.
Until then, we would them to be regenerated each time and cleaned.  So being
able to change the output directory worked fine for us, and the javadoc goal
runs correctly when I have both base and non-base classes generating in the
same dir under target.

What doesn't seem to work for me is NOT changing the location and just using
the default settings of the plugin.  If I just create a standalone project,
with one schema file, the plugin will generate the code correctly but the
javadoc:javadoc goal fails.  It looks like an issue with the additional
generated-java directory under src/main, that a trailing slash is missing:

[INFO] An error has occurred in JavaDocs report generation:Exit code: 1 -
javadoc: error - Illegal package name: "...generated- java.qds.solutions.om"

qds.solutions.om is my package name.  Could you try the javadoc:javadoc goal
in one of your projects?  I'm just concerned that we have default settings
that break a different plugin.  I've started with a clean pom, no other
plugins or parents being used:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="
http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">

  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>test</groupId>
  <artifactId>test</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

  <name>Test App</name>
  <description>Test App</description>

  <dependencies>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.torque</groupId>
      <artifactId>torque-runtime</artifactId>
      <version>3.3-RC3</version>
    </dependency>

  </dependencies>

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.apache.torque</groupId>
        <artifactId>torque-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>3.3-RC3</version>

        <configuration>
          <targetDatabase>sybase</targetDatabase>
          <targetPackage>qds.solutions.om</targetPackage>
        </configuration>

        <executions>
          <execution>
            <goals>
              <phase>generate-sources</phase>
              <goal>sql</goal>
              <goal>om</goal>
              <goal>documentation</goal>
            </goals>
          </execution>
        </executions>

      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

</project>

On Jan 22, 2008 1:22 AM, Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> wrote:

> [...]
> are the same). If you want the non-base classes to be in the target tree,
> can you perhaps try another directory for the non-base classes (e.g.
> target/generated-sources/torque-non-base)
>
> Maybe the problem is due to another code-genrating plugin you are using
> which uses the taget-generated-sources directory. In this case, you can
> reconfigure the torque plugin to also use the target-generated-sources
> directory, using the following configuration:
>
>        <configuration>
>          <baseOutputDir>${project.build.directory}/generated-sources</
> baseOutputDir>
>          <baseReportFile>
> ../torque/report.${project.artifact.artifactId}.om.base.generation</
> baseReportFile>
>        </configuration>
>

>      Thomas
>
> "Jeffrey Brekke" <ek...@gmail.com> schrieb am 21.01.2008 19:47:51:
>
> > Just skipping the site goals allow me to build and it seems so far
> > everything is working.  But I was using 3.3-RC1 and without additional
> > configuration, generated sources are put in the
> > target/generated-sources/torque directory, this includes the
> BaseXXXX.javaand
> > XXXX.java generated sources.  It doesn't create a generated-java
> directory
> > under src/main.  The default for <outputDir> for the om goal changed.
>  So
> > here is what I had to do to my pom.xml
> >
> >         <executions>
> >           <execution>
> >             <id>sql-and-docs</id>
> >             <goals>
> >               <phase>generate-sources</phase>
> >               <goal>sql</goal>
> >               <goal>documentation</goal>
> >             </goals>
> >           </execution>
> >           <execution>
> >             <id>om</id>
> >             <goals>
> >               <phase>generate-sources</phase>
> >               <goal>om</goal>
> >             </goals>
> >             <configuration>
> >               <outputDir>${project.build.directory
> > }/generated-sources/torque</outputDir>
> >             </configuration>
> >           </execution>
> >         </executions>
> >
> > I can't remember if there was a problem after 3.3-RC1 that changed this
> > default ( or maybe I built it locally with that default ), but that
> seems
> > be the issue.  The reporting plugin has no issues with the above config,
> but
> > if the generated-java directory is used, the maven-javadoc plugin
> complains.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > On Jan 21, 2008 11:22 AM, Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hm this seems to be a problem in a reporting plugin, not the torque
> plugin
> > > itself. Probably the directory structure is incompatible.
> > > Can you disable the reporting section and run it again ?

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

brekke at apache dot org
ekkerbj at gmail dot com
jbrekke at wi dot rr dot com

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <ek...@gmail.com>.
[...]

default ( or maybe I built it locally with that default ), but that seems to

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

brekke at apache dot org
ekkerbj at gmail dot com
jbrekke at wi dot rr dot com

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <ek...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I have it running now, but I'm getting a strange javadoc gen error
when running the site:site goal:

1 error
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error during page generation

Embedded error: Error rendering Maven report: Exit code: 1 - javadoc: error
- Illegal package name: "...generated-java.qds.solutions.om"

Command line was:"cd
/home/jbrekke/sandbox/solutions/solutions-om/target/site/apidocs &&
/usr/java/jdk1.6.0/jre/../bin/javadoc" -J-DproxyHost=XXXXXX
-J-DproxyPort=XXXX @options @packages

I'm trying some runtime tests now.  I know previously there were some issues
starting up Turbine with RC2, but this seems to be resolved.  Looks like its
working here...

On Jan 21, 2008 8:57 AM, Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> wrote:

> "Jeffrey Brekke" <ek...@gmail.com> schrieb am 21.01.2008 15:28:58:
>
> > I'm trying to get the binaries and give it a shot, but I'm having
> trouble
> > finding a maven2 plugin that is built.  Is there a way we can get
> > 3.3RC3binaries up into a m2 repo?
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/torque/torque-maven-plugin/
>
> Sorry, the groupId changed (org.apache.db.torque -> org.apache.torque),
> blame me for not selecting the correct one in the first place.
>
>         Thomas

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

brekke at apache dot org
ekkerbj at gmail dot com
jbrekke at wi dot rr dot com

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <ek...@gmail.com>.

On Jan 19, 2008 6:56 PM, Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> wrote:

> Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> > Scott Eade wrote:
> >> I am thinking that it would be a good idea to avoid a long delay
> >> between 3.3-RC3 and 3.3 final.  Is there anything outstanding that
> >> needs to be worked on before 3.3 final?
> > I wouldn't have dared to raise this question myself. It seems that no
> > big issues arose after the RC3-release, so +1 from me.
> I can't think of anyone more qualified to make the call!  Let's give it
> another day or so for other opinions and then just go for it.
>
> Scott

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

brekke at apache dot org
ekkerbj at gmail dot com
jbrekke at wi dot rr dot com

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Scott Eade wrote:
> I am thinking that it would be a good idea to avoid a long delay between
> 3.3-RC3 and 3.3 final.  Is there anything outstanding that needs to be
> worked on before 3.3 final?

I wouldn't have dared to raise this question myself. It seems that no
big issues arose after the RC3-release, so +1 from me.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Brendan Miller <bm...@dotster.com>.

> I had a question about 3.3-RC3.  Am I the only one for whom the
> SqlExpressionTest fails?  Surely this cannot be.  I am building from a
> clean svn co of the TORQUE_3_3_RC3 tag(s).
>
> $ maven jar:jar
..

>     [junit] Running org.apache.torque.util.SqlExpressionTest
>     [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.623 sec
>     [junit] [ERROR] TEST org.apache.torque.util.SqlExpressionTest FAILED
..

> BUILD FAILED
> File...... /home/brmiller/.maven/cache/maven-test-plugin-1.6.2/plugin.jelly
> Element... fail
> Line...... 181
> Column.... 54
> There were test failures.
> Total time: 17 seconds
> Finished at: Fri Feb 01 21:19:56 GMT 2008

I went back to 3.3-RC1 and it won't pass the same test either.  And I know
I've built 3.3-RC1 from source before.  It then occurred to me that we
moved our development environment to Java 1.6 since then.  Rebuilding
the torque runtime (3.3-RC3) using Java 1.5 and the tests work just
fine.

I haven't investigated any further why it won't build under Java 1.6.

Brendan

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Brendan Miller <bm...@dotster.com>.
On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 01:31:37AM +1100, Scott Eade wrote:
> I am thinking that it would be a good idea to avoid a long delay between
> 3.3-RC3 and 3.3 final.  Is there anything outstanding that needs to be
> worked on before 3.3 final?

I had a question about 3.3-RC3.  Am I the only one for whom the
SqlExpressionTest fails?  Surely this cannot be.  I am building from a
clean svn co of the TORQUE_3_3_RC3 tag(s).

$ maven jar:jar
 __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0.2

build:start:

java:prepare-filesystem:

java:compile:
    [echo] Compiling to /home/brmiller/devel/torque/torque-3.3-RC3-svn/runtime/target/classes

java:jar-resources:

test:prepare-filesystem:

test:test-resources:

test:compile:

test:test:
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.util.UniqueListTest
    [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.521 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.util.QueryTest
    [junit] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.393 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.util.CriteriaTest
    [junit] Tests run: 19, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.716 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.util.SqlBuilderTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.62 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.util.SqlExpressionTest
    [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.623 sec
    [junit] [ERROR] TEST org.apache.torque.util.SqlExpressionTest FAILED
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.om.NumberKeyTest
    [junit] Tests run: 6, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.36 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.om.ComboKeyTest
    [junit] Tests run: 9, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.327 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.TorqueInstanceTest
    [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.598 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.TorqueRuntimeExceptionTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.616 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.adapter.DBOracleTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.328 sec
    [junit] Running org.apache.torque.avalon.AvalonTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.785 sec

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
From: Scott Eade

> Greg Monroe wrote:
> >
> > Along with this, we should make a "formal" announcement
> > to the user and dev lists that we're planning for a quick
> > 3.3 release.  Please test RC3 against your apps, etc.
> >
> IMO this is not necessary, or at least it is implicit in the
> fact that
> it is an RC.

I was thinking that a specific note on this would be a
good idea since some folks might be thinking:  "I'll
get around to that in a month or so because the final
release won't be for..."  8)

> > Also, during this period, we committers probably should
> > limit code check-ins, e.g. only very minor changes /
> > show stopper bug fixes (if any).
> >
> This should have been the case since RC-1.

Ce La Open Source... We should doc everyone's pay...

FWIW, I went back and noticed that there is no 3.2 release date
listed in the change log... So I did some digging in the mail
archives and found that:

RC3 was released on 11/13/05.
A vote was called on 11/25/05 to use this as 3.2
The vote results where announced on  12/02/05
The 3.2 Announcement came out on 12/10/05

So history is repeating itself...lol.
DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.

Re: Any reason not to move to 3.3 final yet?

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Greg Monroe wrote:
> Sounds good, I see no problems with this.  My only minor
> procedural thoughts are:
>
> We probably should allow at least three weeks / a month
> after the RC3 candidate for people to get around to
> testing their apps with it. But none of the RC2->RC3
> changes in the log seem likely to generate big "gotcha's".
> But our major QA testing is always the user base.

I have no problem with this, but I would definitely like to avoid:
1. a long delay such as that seen between earlier 3.3 RC releases
2. additional changes being committed other than fixes to identified
RC-3 issues

If RC-3 is in use by Thomas V., Thomas F., yourself (Greg) and myself
(and Jeffery too) then this is a fairly high testing mark for us
anyway.  The time pressure from me is that I am pushing for a Turbine
release and we need Torque 3.3 final before we can proceed.

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
Sounds good, I see no problems with this.  My only minor
procedural thoughts are:

We probably should allow at least three weeks / a month
after the RC3 candidate for people to get around to
testing their apps with it. But none of the RC2->RC3
changes in the log seem likely to generate big "gotcha's".
But our major QA testing is always the user base.

Along with this, we should make a "formal" announcement
to the user and dev lists that we're planning for a quick
3.3 release.  Please test RC3 against your apps, etc.

Also, during this period, we committers probably should
limit code check-ins, e.g. only very minor changes /
show stopper bug fixes (if any).

These are just some top of the mind thoughts about how
to do this.. take them or leave them.

Greg

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.