Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2005/09/22 17:21:11 UTC

lib-png licence (Scott's Very Free License)

Hopefully a relatively easy one. We've a dependency on a library called
Jisp that as of version 2.5.1 was licenced under a modified lib-png
licence.

The modifications themselves appear to be pretty innocuous.

Is this okay for the ASF?

Hen

===================================
Scott's Very Free License

COPYRIGHT NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, and LICENSE:

If you modify this file, you may insert additional notices immediately
following
this sentence.

Copyright 2001 Scott Robert Ladd. All rights reserved, except as noted
herein.

This computer program source file is supplied "AS IS". Scott Robert Ladd
(hereinafter referred to as "Author") disclaims all warranties, expressed
or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of
merchantability and of fitness for any purpose. The Author assumes no
liability for direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or
consequential damages, which may result from the use of this free product,
even if advised of the possibility of such damage.

The Author hereby grants anyone permission to use, copy, modify, and
distribute this source code, or portions hereof, for any legal purpose,
without fee, subject to the following restrictions:

   The origin of this source code must not be misrepresented.

   Altered versions must be plainly marked as such and must not be
misrepresented as being the original source.

   This Copyright notice may not be removed or altered from any source or
altered source distribution.

The Author specifically permits (without fee) and encourages the use of
this source code for entertainment, education, or decoration. If you use
this source code in a product, acknowledgment is not required but would be
appreciated.

The Author's contact information is:

   Scott Robert Ladd
   scott@coyotegulch.com
   http://www.coyotegulch.com

Acknowledgement:
This license is based on the wonderful simple license that accompanies
libpng.

Re: lib-png licence (Scott's Very Free License)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>

>> Hopefully a relatively easy one. We've a dependency on a library
>> called Jisp that as of version 2.5.1 was licenced under a modified
>> lib-png licence.
>>
>> The modifications themselves appear to be pretty innocuous.
>>
>> Is this okay for the ASF?
>>
>> Hen
>>
>> ===================================
>> Scott's Very Free License
>>
>> COPYRIGHT NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, and LICENSE:
>>
>> If you modify this file, you may insert additional notices
>> immediately following
>> this sentence.
>>
>> Copyright 2001 Scott Robert Ladd. All rights reserved, except as
>> noted herein.
>>
>> This computer program source file is supplied "AS IS". Scott Robert
>> Ladd (hereinafter referred to as "Author") disclaims all warranties,
>> expressed or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties
>> of merchantability and of fitness for any purpose. The Author assumes
>> no liability for direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or
>> consequential damages, which may result from the use of this free
>> product, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.
>>
>> The Author hereby grants anyone permission to use, copy, modify, and
>> distribute this source code, or portions hereof, for any legal
>> purpose, without fee, subject to the following restrictions:
>>
>>   The origin of this source code must not be misrepresented.
>>
>>   Altered versions must be plainly marked as such and must not be
>> misrepresented as being the original source.
>>
>>   This Copyright notice may not be removed or altered from any source
>> or altered source distribution.
>>
>> The Author specifically permits (without fee) and encourages the use
>> of this source code for entertainment, education, or decoration. If
>> you use this source code in a product, acknowledgment is not required
>> but would be appreciated.
>>
>> The Author's contact information is:
>>
>>   Scott Robert Ladd
>>   scott@coyotegulch.com
>>   http://www.coyotegulch.com
>

> Beware, Jisp 2 has some reliability bugs, as were experienced by
> Cocoon, Jisp 3 fixes them, however he has switched to GPL for that.
>
> So I would advise against using JISP if you possibly can within an
> Apache environment.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-jcs-dev&m=107728236628303

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: lib-png licence (Scott's Very Free License)

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> Hopefully a relatively easy one. We've a dependency on a library called
> Jisp that as of version 2.5.1 was licenced under a modified lib-png
> licence.
>
> The modifications themselves appear to be pretty innocuous.
>
> Is this okay for the ASF?
>
> Hen
>
> ===================================
> Scott's Very Free License
>
> COPYRIGHT NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, and LICENSE:
>
> If you modify this file, you may insert additional notices immediately
> following
> this sentence.
>
> Copyright 2001 Scott Robert Ladd. All rights reserved, except as noted
> herein.
>
> This computer program source file is supplied "AS IS". Scott Robert Ladd
> (hereinafter referred to as "Author") disclaims all warranties,
> expressed or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of
> merchantability and of fitness for any purpose. The Author assumes no
> liability for direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or
> consequential damages, which may result from the use of this free
> product, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.
>
> The Author hereby grants anyone permission to use, copy, modify, and
> distribute this source code, or portions hereof, for any legal purpose,
> without fee, subject to the following restrictions:
>
>   The origin of this source code must not be misrepresented.
>
>   Altered versions must be plainly marked as such and must not be
> misrepresented as being the original source.
>
>   This Copyright notice may not be removed or altered from any source or
> altered source distribution.
>
> The Author specifically permits (without fee) and encourages the use of
> this source code for entertainment, education, or decoration. If you use
> this source code in a product, acknowledgment is not required but would
> be appreciated.
>
> The Author's contact information is:
>
>   Scott Robert Ladd
>   scott@coyotegulch.com
>   http://www.coyotegulch.com

Beware, Jisp 2 has some reliability bugs, as were experienced by Cocoon,
Jisp 3 fixes them, however he has switched to GPL for that.

So I would advise against using JISP if you possibly can within an
Apache environment.

Regards, Upayavira