Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2021/12/09 01:33:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] In flight work to complete before 2.5.0RC0

As your branch-2.5 RM I am assembling a list of work items that should be
completed before a 2.5.0RC0 candidate is submitted for the PMC's
consideration.

I have so far:

- OpenTracing span naming convention and coverage improvements.

- Shell exit code fixes/improvements.

- The "encryption improvements umbrella". Arguable, but let's include it
for now. Can all be resolved as Later if need be.

Let's discuss what else, if anything, should be on this list, or if one or
more of the above items does not constitute a release blocker. I consider
incomplete work-in-progress a blocker. Obviously all of the work in
progress should land before release. For WIP, let's also agree on a
definition of done.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] In flight work to complete before 2.5.0RC0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Duo.

I haven’t been around much lately but will be reviewing and progressing PRs for branch-2 / branch-2.5 more actively now. A committer or contributor looking for a review can at-mention me on a relevant JIRA to get my attention. That will drop a notification mail into my inbox. (GitHub emails go to /dev/null, there are too many.)

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew and team,

The other one I'd like to land for 2.5 is the region visualizer
on HBASE-25865. It stalled for most of the year as it required embedding an
HTTP/JSON API into the Master's WebUI, and I identified issues with our
shading of Jersey and its associated JSR implementations. Since those have
been fixed in hbase-thirdparty-4.0.0, I'd like to revive this feature and
bring it home to conclusion.

There are screenshots of the progress thus far attached to the jira. I've
implemented one visualization, a stacked bar chart that illustrates the
total storefile size per table per region server. As a stretch-goal (or
follow-on), I'd also like to implement a region size histogram. Once we
have a couple in place, there should be enough code infrastructure that
adding other views will be relatively painless. For now, the browser-side
development goes slowly because I have limited JavaScript skills.

As mentioned, this feature relies on an HTTP/JSON endpoint being exposed by
the WebUI that hosts the visualization. I have implemented the bare minimum
required endpoint for the visualization that I have on the
sub-task HBASE-25895. While I intend this to be advertised as an
internal-only, IA.Private API, it deserves some scrutiny.

Thanks,
Nick

Posted by "张铎(Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.