Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2011/03/31 16:53:56 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1087321 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/svn/switch-cmd.c

On 03/31/2011 10:46 AM, stsp@apache.org wrote:
> Author: stsp
> Date: Thu Mar 31 14:46:16 2011
> New Revision: 1087321

> Log:
> * subversion/svn/switch-cmd.c
>   (svn_cl__switch): Convert path to local style in error message about
>    non-related switch source and target. Tweak wording explaining the
>    --ignore-ancestry override.

Thanks for the local-style change.

I'm not sure I like the new wording, though.  (In fact, I specifically avoid
it myself.)  There are other things which could prevent the operation from
running, so I don't like the implication that this option is a magic potion
which overcomes all such barriers.  I'd rather be specific -- if you pass
--ignore-ancestry, the ancestry won't be considered when deciding if this is
a valid request.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: svn commit: r1087321 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/svn/switch-cmd.c

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:53:56AM -0400, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> On 03/31/2011 10:46 AM, stsp@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: stsp
> > Date: Thu Mar 31 14:46:16 2011
> > New Revision: 1087321

> > Log:
> > * subversion/svn/switch-cmd.c
> >   (svn_cl__switch): Convert path to local style in error message about
> >    non-related switch source and target. Tweak wording explaining the
> >    --ignore-ancestry override.
>
> Thanks for the local-style change.
>
> I'm not sure I like the new wording, though.  (In fact, I specifically avoid
> it myself.)  There are other things which could prevent the operation from
> running, so I don't like the implication that this option is a magic potion
> which overcomes all such barriers.  I'd rather be specific -- if you pass
> --ignore-ancestry, the ancestry won't be considered when deciding if this is
> a valid request.

Fair enough. I"ve reverted that part in r1087365.