Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jae Joo <ja...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/22 14:29:22 UTC

TimeAllowed and Partial Results

I have timeAllowed=2000 (2sec) and having mostly 0 hits coming out. Should
I have more than 0 results?

Jae

Re: TimeAllowed and Partial Results

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
TimeAllowed stops looking when the timer expires. If it hasn’t found any docs with a
non-zero score by then, you’ll get zero hits.

It has to be this way, because Solr doesn’t know whether a doc is a hit until Solr scores it.

So this is normal behavior, assuming that some part of the processing takes more than 2
seconds before it finds the first non-zero scoring document.

So what I’d recommend is that you build up your query gradually and find out what’s
taking the time. Something like
q=clause1
q=clause1 clause2

etc, all with timeAllowed at 2 seconds. Eventually you’ll find a clause that exceeds your timeout, then
you can address the root cause.

Best,
Erick