Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by gtallen <gt...@home.com> on 2000/04/19 03:45:12 UTC

Tomcat and bean serialization?

Hi,
Does the latest Tomcat support bean serialization?  If not,
are there any plans?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Tomcat and bean serialization?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
gtallen wrote:

> Hi,
> Does the latest Tomcat support bean serialization?  If not,
> are there any plans?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bean serialization".  Could you describe
it further?

The general philosophy of Tomcat (and the servlet and JSP apis for that
matter) is that any synchronization required by beans to avoid multithread
access problems is the responsibility of the bean itself.  Any general purpose
solution imposed by the servlet container is likely to cause performance
problems for beans that are written to work correctly in a multithreaded
environment already.

> Thanks,
> Greg

Craig McClanahan