Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fernando Fernandez <fe...@comcast.net> on 2004/06/20 19:28:35 UTC

Setup problem with Tomcat 5.0.25 running as a daemon under jsvc

Hi all,

I found a problem that might be more of a jsvc problem than a tomcat
issue. But perhaps someone has had the same issue and knows the
solution. When a user creates a new subdomain (e.g.
http://subdomain.mydomain.com) and publishes a new Java Server Page,
they get the following error:

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25/work/Catalina/subdomain.mydomain.com/_/org/ap
ache/jsp/test_jsp.java
	java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
	java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
	java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:70)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:188)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:461)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:442)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:430)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.ja
va:511)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:274)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)

It looks like the problem has something to do with Tomcat trying to
create the new directory structure under Tomcat's 'work' directory,
because I don't see part of the directory path mentioned in the message.
And when I start Tomcat using /bin/startup.sh as root, the page runs
fine and the directory structure is created. After that, any new page
published works fine in the original setup.

I tried 'chmod -R 777 work' to allow changes to that directory by
anyone, but it still doesn't work. I tried specifying root as the user
in the jsvc call, and it doesn't make a difference. Is this behaviour by
design or is it a problem, probably in jsvc? If a solution is not
possible using jsvc to run Tomcat as a daemon, is there another way to
run it (I'm a newbie to Tomcat, and I first tried the recommendation in
Apache's web site).

Thanks for your help,

Fernando.

Re: Setup problem with Tomcat 5.0.25 running as a daemon under jsvc

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Sorry for the delay. Was off line for a few days. Fat fingers and in a rush
to get out the door. You are correct it is chown. You need to apply it to
the tomcat home directory. I do not recommend the chmod 777. Opens things up
to much. Okay for testing.

Doug