Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de> on 2015/03/03 09:57:29 UTC

Re: Update on meetup?

Hi

Too bad that I missed meetup and start of discussion, because I only monitored dev list...

We deploy our testcluster on a single machine as pure lxc containers. Using a hiera supported puppet michel weiser is trying to merge with bigtop.

Imho one solution does not fits all.

In productiom:On a cluster of machines you would deploy bigtop on bare metal, not sacrifing runtime performance for anything.

In a longer running testcluster on a maschine:
We run a traditional os in container (i.e. We run systemd formely known as init in it). This has the big advantage that we can test long running things like kerberos tickets expiring happening on a real bare metal cluster. Right now we have journalling, with tez on hive including hue and are happy right now when we can switch on kerberos authentication.

For smoke tests the vagrant/docker scripts are really cool, i looked at it yesterday the first time. Too bad they are deeply bound to centos, I had to change many thing to get it run on debian.

Docker is more centered

I looked into the vm puppet scripts and

Sent with SMTP

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
absolutely supportive of olaf's ideas to make the docker support more
platform agnostic.  We don't want to tie folks down - bigtop's mission is
to be open to solutions from all vendors !

--
jay vyas

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.