Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@insession.com on 2004/09/07 14:04:47 UTC

Questions/Proposed changes to BUILDING.txt file

Hi, I'm a newbie to the project and have been reading the instructions in
the BUILDING.txt file (taken from CVS) and have some questions:

The following is an extract of the text in the BUILDING.txt file:

01 Welcome to Geronimo
02 ===================
03
04 To build me please install Maven from here - version b10 or later.
05
06      http://maven.apache.org/
07
08 In addition you should have JDK 1.4.x installed with JAVA_HOME
09 environment defined to point to this JDK.
10
11 In the following examples, '$>' is your prompt, so if you see
12 '$>maven', at your prompt, type in 'maven' (without the quotes)
13 and then press [enter].
14
15 To build Geronimo running all of the unit test cases, compiling
16 all the Geronimo sources and installing them in your local maven
17 repository:
18
19         $>maven
20
21 To build and run the server, change into the assembly directory and
22 type:
23
24         $>maven
25         $>cd target
26         $>java -jar bin/server.jar org/apache/geronimo/Server
======================================

Assuming I haven't misinterpreted the instructions in BUILDING.txt
(extract shown above), I propose the following changes:

 A).  Change sentence at lines 15-17 to read:

To build Geronimo running all of the unit test cases, compiling all the
Geronimo sources and installing them in your local maven repository,
simply type maven in the root of the Geronimo source tree

B). Insert a line before line 24 to show the location of the assembly
directory:

cd modules/assembly

C) The directory name for the server.jar file in the command at line 26 is
incorrect.  Line 26 needs to be changed to:

java -jar geronimo-1.0-SNAPSHOT/bin/server.jar org/apache/geronimo/Server

If the proposed changes make sense, should I create a JIRA issue and
attach a patch?

** Questions:

Q1. If maven has already been run to build all of geronimo (see line 19),
then it appears there is no need to run maven again (see line 24).  Maybe
the doco could be reworded to make it clearer on the two different ways
Geronimo can be built?

Thanks,

John Sisson