Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Francois Richard <fr...@xobni.com> on 2010/09/16 19:30:52 UTC

Buildding a Ubuntu / Debian package for Cassandra

Guys,

I am trying to build a debian package in order to deploy Cassandra 0.6.5 on Ubuntu.  I see that you have a ./debian directory in the source builds, do you have a bit more background on how it is used and build?

P.S. I am new to Ubuntu/Debian packaging so any type of pointer will help.

Thanks,

FR

Francois Richard

Re: Buildding a Ubuntu / Debian package for Cassandra

Posted by Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com>.
On Sep 16, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Francois Richard wrote:

> Thanks Clint,
>
> I am going to look-up the links below, I am pretty new on the DEB packaging in general and from what I have seen so far, a lot of the tutorial on the web are mostly based on classic [ .configure | make | make install ] of an application built in C.  In this case I wanted to figure out the DEB packaging in the context of a Java application.  I'll read on more and will stay in touch.

Actually there's a lot of ambiguity in packaging that arise given Java's unique properties as a compiled, architecture independent platform. I wouldn't recommend *starting* your debian packaging journey with java. Maybe find a nice C program first. ;)

> My goal at the end of the day, is to install " the stock" package for Cassandra and then to create a special Cassandra-config package that would move and deploy my customized configuration files on the system.

You're probably better off using a configuration management system such as puppet, chef, or cfengine to.. well.. manage your configuration.

RE: Buildding a Ubuntu / Debian package for Cassandra

Posted by Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com>.
Hello Francois,

Posted by Dave Viner <da...@pobox.com>.
Hi Francois,