Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by karan alang <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/15 18:55:00 UTC

kafka-consumer-groups.sh vs ConsumerOffsetChecker

Hi All -
I've Kafka 0.9 (going forward will be migrating to Kafka 0.10) & trying to
use the ConsumerOffsetChecker &  bin/kafka-consumer-groups.sh to check for
offsets.

I'm seeing different behavior.

Here is what i did ->

a) When i use ConsumerOffsetChecker

$KAFKA_HOME/bin/kafka-run-class.sh kafka.tools.ConsumerOffsetChecker
--zookeeper localhost:2181 --group myGroup --topic newBroker1

[2017-06-15 11:50:23,729] WARN WARNING: ConsumerOffsetChecker is deprecated
and will be dropped in releases following 0.9.0. Use ConsumerGroupCommand
instead. (kafka.tools.ConsumerOffsetChecker$)

Group           Topic                          Pid Offset          logSize
        Lag             Owner

myGroup         newBroker1                     0   224216          507732
        283516          none

myGroup         newBroker1                     1   224888          508978
        284090          none

myGroup         newBroker1                     2   141104          424038
        282934          none

myGroup         newBroker1                     3   11829           295110
        283281          none

myGroup         newBroker1                     4   11580           294510
        282930          none

b) When i run the kafka-consumer-groups.sh (since the WARNING message above
says - ConsumerOffsetChecker is deprecated & we need to use
ConsumerGroupCommand instead)

Option 1 :

$KAFKA_HOME/bin/kafka-consumer-groups.sh --describe  --bootstrap-server
localhost:9092,localhost:9093,localhost:9094,localhost:9095 --new-consumer
--group myGroup

Consumer group `myGroup` does not exist or is rebalancing.

The question - When i use $KAFKA_HOME/bin/kafka-consumer-groups.sh - why is
the script not giving me Offset details of the group - myGroup & Topic -
newBroker1

What needs to be done for this (using script
$KAFKA_HOME/bin/kafka-consumer-groups.sh) ?

Re: kafka-consumer-groups.sh vs ConsumerOffsetChecker

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
Is it possible that the consumer group or the corresponding topic got
deleted?

If you don't have consumers running in the group but there are offsets
associated with (valid) topics the group, group offsets should not get
removed from ZK.

--Vahid

From:   karan alang <ka...@gmail.com>
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/15/2017 02:22 PM
Subject:        Re: kafka-consumer-groups.sh vs ConsumerOffsetChecker

Hi Vahid,

In ZK, i dont see any reference to myGroup
(is this because the consumer is no longer running or is there some other
reason ?)

*ls /consumers[replay-log-producer]*

Also, when i run the ConsumerOffsetChecker w/o the topic, i get error
shown
below ->

*$KAFKA_HOME/bin/kafka-run-class.sh kafka.tools.ConsumerOffsetChecker
--zookeeper localhost:2181 --group myGroup*

[2017-06-15 14:12:35,121] WARN WARNING: ConsumerOffsetChecker is
deprecated
and will be dropped in releases following 0.9.0. Use ConsumerGroupCommand
instead. (kafka.tools.ConsumerOffsetChecker$)
Exiting due to: org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$NoNodeException:
KeeperErrorCode = NoNode for /consumers/myGroup/owners.

Btw, even with the --topic, i'm getting this error now.
(which i was not getting earlier)

So, How do i interpret this ?
is this a caching issue ?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Vahid S Hashemian <
vahidhashemian@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Karan,
>
> The message "No topic available for consumer group provided" appears
when
> there is no topic under the consumer group in ZooKeeper (under
> /consumers/myGroup/owners/).
> Can you check whether the topic 'newBroker1' exists under this ZK path?
> Also, do you still get the rows below if you run the
ConsumerOffsetChecker

Posted by karan alang <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vahid,

From:   karan alang <ka...@gmail.com>