Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by gomes <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/13 23:54:35 UTC

Is there an advantage of placing related regions on the same region server/host?

I have few tables, and I have pre partitioned the tables. I would like to
achieve reduced latency. I am just thinking of placing related regions on
the same region server/host. For example, table 1 contains 3 regions
[a,b,c], and table 2 contains 3 regions[x,y,z]. (a,x) contains the data for
some group of users, (b,y) contains the data for some group of users, and
(c,z) and so on.

If I have two region servers, instead of placing [a,b,c] on one server, and
[x,y,z] on other server, is there an advantage of placing related regions
(a,x), (b,y), (c,z) among the region servers?

Note: I also make sure the regions will not be divided further, or there
will be manual intervention needed to divide the regions further.

Re: Is there an advantage of placing related regions on the same region server/host?

Posted by Esteban Gutierrez <es...@cloudera.com>.
Hello gomes,

Sounds like you are looking for the functionality described by HBASE-10576,
I the meantime if both table share the same keys it might be easier to
merge the tables using different CFs. Would that work for you?

cheers,
esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by gomes <sa...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

Re: Is there an advantage of placing related regions on the same region server/host?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
By related regions, do you mean query would typically involve both regions ?

Cheers