Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org> on 2021/01/01 23:00:42 UTC

Re: Old programmers do fade away

I'm *really* sad to see you stepping away.  You're a legend in
our community, especially with your tireless help to our users.  And you're
truly a pleasure to work with and to simply know.

40 years is enough indeed... but... I'll make a last ditch selfish request
to help me come to grips with you leaving:  consider "fading away"
(gradually) instead of more suddenly.  I sympathize with the difficulty in
keeping up with development but you needn't try to -- just restrict your
attention to a limited area of the code or topically.  This suggestion is
directed at not just you but really at anyone who wants to contribute.
This is a huge project that is probably overwhelming to newcomers.  I use a
keyword based email filter technique for this.  Maybe you might consider
helping with the Solr TLP migration?  That's more social and less code
hacking.  I hope this paragraph comes off respectfully -- it's ultimately
your choice to enjoy your time as you wish.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on retirement and further interests. It is
thought provoking to consider what to do at retirement age.  So many
possibilities.

Oh and finally, thanks for this email to announce your intentions.  It's
rather rare to get this; others fade away without an announcement and so
there is no public reflection on the departure of the individual.  I could
list some but I don't want to distract from your message.

Ryan: that squirrel water shooter video at PyCon was fantastic; thanks for
sharing!

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley