Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com> on 2000/09/09 23:02:28 UTC

Arithmetic

Hey,

Can we add arithmetic to the template specification.
Arithmetic is parsing fine, so I'd like to add
the functionality to the visitor. Actually I
would have to add the functionality to the
visitor anyway to deal with arithmetic that
happened in conditional expressions like:

#if (($a + $b) > $c)

And I propose to use the #set like this:

#set $foo = 1
#set $foo = $foo + 1
#set $foo = ($a - $b) + $c

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com>.
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Daniel L. Rall wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > Can we add arithmetic to the template specification.
> > Arithmetic is parsing fine, so I'd like to add
> > the functionality to the visitor. Actually I
> > would have to add the functionality to the
> > visitor anyway to deal with arithmetic that
> > happened in conditional expressions like:
> >
> > #if (($a + $b) > $c)
> >
> > And I propose to use the #set like this:
> >
> > #set $foo = 1
> > #set $foo = $foo + 1
> > #set $foo = ($a - $b) + $c
>
> Yay, +1!
> (sorry for the delayed response)

Not a problem, have my head down in an overhaul
anyway :)

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@collab.net>.

Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>
http://collab.net/ | open source | do the right thing

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by Frank Conradie <fr...@opticode.co.za>.
Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@collab.net>.

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by bob <bo...@accurev.com>.
> > Jason says that folks have requested this.
> >
> > I'm fundamentally opposed (but won't veto it).
> >
> > But, I'd like to collect use-cases from folks, as to
> > why they think they need arithmetic in a template.
> >
> > I think we can find Better Solutions than putting
> > math in HTML by a graphic-designer.
>
> As unbelievable as it may seem, I've found that even graphic designers
> are capable of simple arithmatic.  ;)

Oh sure, I'm not disputing that at all.

My point is that if you choose WebMacro/Velocity for it's
benefits of MVC separation, and then add back arithmetic, you
possibly have taken a step back from the whole point of the MVC
stuff.  Arithmetic tends to lead to logic, and we don't want
to encourage logic in the templates, necessarily.

	-bob

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@collab.net>.

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by Travis Low <tl...@iitedge.com>.
Oh, then my apologies.  I misunderstood.

As for the Better Solution, it should syntactically resemble other
Good Solutions.  I believe the exact syntax doesn't matter.  It's more
important to not require designers to use a syntax that they don't
already use.  So if designers are accustomed to the ersatz-method
invocation syntax, then that would be fine.  Otherwise, I'd go with
the #set syntax that Jason proposed on the velocity-users list.

As for being "heavily promoted", I wouldn't do that.  I'd just
document it with the rest of the core velocity template language.  I
do believe that arithmetic operations should be in the core, since
arithmetic is a core function of graphic design, especially of web
design.

Travis

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com>.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Arithmetic

Posted by Travis Low <tl...@iitedge.com>.

bob wrote:

> Jason says that folks have requested this.
>
> I'm fundamentally opposed (but won't veto it).
>
> But, I'd like to collect use-cases from folks, as to
> why they think they need arithmetic in a template.
>
> I think we can find Better Solutions than putting
> math in HTML by a graphic-designer.
>
>         -bob
>
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > Can we add arithmetic to the template specification.
> > Arithmetic is parsing fine, so I'd like to add
> > the functionality to the visitor. Actually I
> > would have to add the functionality to the
> > visitor anyway to deal with arithmetic that
> > happened in conditional expressions like:
> >
> > #if (($a + $b) > $c)
> >
> > And I propose to use the #set like this:
> >
> > #set $foo = 1
> > #set $foo = $foo + 1
> > #set $foo = ($a - $b) + $c
> >
> > jvz.