Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com> on 2015/07/08 00:18:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Cordova Plugin npm Search

Hey Everyone,

I've been working on Cordova Plugin npm Search over the last few weeks. I feel we're now in a good shape to get this released.

Please give it a spin: http://people.apache.org/~muratsu/ and use this thread to bring up any release blocking issues.

My current thinking is that we handle the migration in two phases:

Phase 1:

-          Create a new URL for the npm search - http://plugins.cordova.io/npm

-          Add a banner to the current CPR search re-directing traffic use the new npm search - https://github.com/apache/cordova-registry-web/pull/17

-          Continue making improvements based on feedback to npm search

Phase 2: (NPM search is default) - July 20th

-          Move http://plugins.cordova.io URL to the npm plugin search page.

-          Move current CPR search http://plugins.cordova.io/lecacy/

PS:
A special thank you to all who provided feedback on https://github.com/cordova/cordova-discuss/issues/7 and sent PRs

Thanks,
Murat

RE: [DISCUSS] Release Cordova Plugin npm Search

Posted by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com>.
Nikhil just profiled the website to identify bottlenecks. It's definitely something I'll be improving.

I think giving more detailed information about plugins (eg rendering README.md or showing GH issue count) and sorting is future work. I want to ship a MVP to customers and get as much feedback as possible before we start working on such features.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Where and how npmsearch getting the npmjs data then?
I have to seat and read on what npmsearch is then and better understand .
Do they have a service API with SLA and CDN pricing model etc etc...
I'm asking because I don't think we want another unreliable registry web
page that doesn't scale in our hands.

Posted by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com>.
There were two issues:

Posted by "Homer, Tony" <to...@intel.com>.

Posted by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com>.
Ok, we've managed to resolve the result set issues. It should be now in sync with npm. Woo!

I've reached out to npmsearch.com - trying to figure out why it's not updating. Will keep you guys updated. :/

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 12:46 PM, Homer, Tony <to...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> That's true, but that doesn't account for the difference in the size
> of the result set.
> The query to both npmsearch.com and npmjs.com/search is
> "ecosystem:cordova".
>
> Tony
>
>> On 7/10/15, 2:26 PM, "Jesse" <pu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The 370 results include lots of non-plugins.
>>
>> cordova-app-hello-world, cordova-wp8-testtest
>>

>> My team is hiring!
>> @purplecabbage
>> risingj.com
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Homer, Tony <to...@intel.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just checking out the page - nice work, thanks for doing this!
>>>
>>> I had a question about the number of results.
>>> There are 191 results listed on Cordova Plugin NPM search [1].
>>> I also get 191 if I visit (a slightly modified version of) the
>>> search URL directly [2].
>>> But if I visit npmjs and search there for ecosystem:cordova [3], I
>>> get
>>> 370

Posted by Murat Sutunc <mu...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by "Homer, Tony" <to...@intel.com>.