Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ravi <ra...@htinc.com> on 2004/10/28 20:24:12 UTC

Searching against index in memory

If I have a document set of 10,000 docs and my merge factor is 1000, for
every 1000 documents, Lucene creates a new segment. By the time Lucene
indexes 4500 documents, index will have 4000 documents on the disk and
index for 500 documents is stored in memory. How can I search against
this index at the same time from a different JVM? I can access the 4000
docs on the disk. But what about those in the memory on the indexing
box? Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Ravi.

Re: Searching against index in memory

Posted by Bernhard Messer <be...@intrafind.de>.
Ravi schrieb:

>If I have a document set of 10,000 docs and my merge factor is 1000, for
>every 1000 documents, Lucene creates a new segment. By the time Lucene
>indexes 4500 documents, index will have 4000 documents on the disk and
>index for 500 documents is stored in memory. How can I search against
>this index at the same time from a different JVM? I can access the 4000
>docs on the disk. But what about those in the memory on the indexing
>box? Is there a way to do this?

currently, i'm not sure if there can be a solution to solve it. the
easiest way would be to reduce the merge factor so that not to many
documents will be in memory. but this will slow down your index process
also.

bernhard