Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net> on 2004/04/12 17:54:07 UTC

Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

My feeling is that it's time to do another patch release for Subversion.

Solutions to several problems have been merged into the 1.0.x branch since
1.0.1 as mentioned in the CHANGES file on trunk:

 * fixed: segfault when remotely deleting svn:author property.
 * fixed: mod_dav_svn accepting too many authors. (issue #1786)
 * fixed: create runtime config files with native EOLs. (Issue #1802)
 * fixed: recursive propset can corrupt .svn/entries (issue #1794)
 * fixed: better support for shared working copies [not finished] (issue
#1509)

There are at least two additional problems which can be fixed by releasing
1.0.2:

* assertion failure in the libsvn_ra_svn which manifests itself (at least)
on obstructed updates (r9293; proposed and accepted)
* 1.0.1 identifying itself as a '-dev' build

There are a series of items in STATUS which could be merged if they had
enough +1's.

I think the list above (especially the assertion failure) warrents a new
patch release.

To allow some time for review of the remaining STATUS items I propose the
following timeline:

- Time to vote on items in STATUS until the end of Thursday April 15th;
- Releasing the 1.0.2 tarball on Friday or over the weekend depending on
Release Manager availability.

Erik.

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: http://www.gmx.net/info

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:28:27AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Monday, April 12, 2004 12:52 PM -0700 Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:
>
> >>- Time to vote on items in STATUS until the end of Thursday April 15th;
> >>- Releasing the 1.0.2 tarball on Friday or over the weekend depending on
> >>Release Manager availability.
> >
> >+1 on this.  I'll try to sit down today and refine the release
> >documentation.  To resolve some issues we've had with past releases.
>
> I don't think 1.0.2 is the time to try new release procedures.  I'd
> personally let Karl and/or Ben do the RM job like they did for 1.0 and
> 1.0.1.

I wouldn't call them "new" per se.  Basically I want to:

a) practice.

b) rip out the modifications to svn_version.h in dist.sh

c) Document how svn_version.h should be modified

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> writes:
> Well, the last time, I did create a tarball for 1.0.1, but you didn't
> want to use it because it wasn't identical to what you had on your
> machine. (Namely because you had a non-pristine APR/APR-util in there
> that I didn't have.)
>
> I was just assuming that any efforts by us would be tossed out again.

Nah, that wasn't the reason I didn't want to use that tarball then,
and no, let's not rehash the actual reasons now.  This is about 1.0.2,
not 1.0.1.

You know I've been very publicly +1 on you doing RM.  You can depend
on that implying a complete lack of desire to toss out your work! :-)

-K

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Tuesday, April 13, 2004 10:55 AM -0500 kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Independently of whether new release procedures are used, Karl and Ben
> don't *want* to do this release, and were kind of hoping you and
> breser would do it :-).
>
> But anyway, if you're working on new release procedures, it's probably
> a good idea to do a release using the old ones.  That way you'll have
> some concrete experiences to guide the improvements.

Well, the last time, I did create a tarball for 1.0.1, but you didn't want
to use it because it wasn't identical to what you had on your machine.
(Namely because you had a non-pristine APR/APR-util in there that I didn't
have.)

I was just assuming that any efforts by us would be tossed out again.

*shrug*  -- justin

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> writes:
> I don't think 1.0.2 is the time to try new release procedures.  I'd
> personally let Karl and/or Ben do the RM job like they did for 1.0 and
> 1.0.1.  -- justin

Independently of whether new release procedures are used, Karl and Ben
don't *want* to do this release, and were kind of hoping you and
breser would do it :-).

But anyway, if you're working on new release procedures, it's probably
a good idea to do a release using the old ones.  That way you'll have
some concrete experiences to guide the improvements.

Thoughts?

-Karl

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Monday, April 12, 2004 12:52 PM -0700 Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:

>> - Time to vote on items in STATUS until the end of Thursday April 15th;
>> - Releasing the 1.0.2 tarball on Friday or over the weekend depending on
>> Release Manager availability.
>
> +1 on this.  I'll try to sit down today and refine the release
> documentation.  To resolve some issues we've had with past releases.

I don't think 1.0.2 is the time to try new release procedures.  I'd personally
let Karl and/or Ben do the RM job like they did for 1.0 and 1.0.1.  -- justin

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 12:57, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> "Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > My feeling is that it's time to do another patch release for
> > Subversion.
>
> +1.

+1.  The bug fixed by r9293 is pretty serious and lots of folks are
hitting it.  I'd say it nearly justifies a 1.0.2 release by itself.

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:

> My feeling is that it's time to do another patch release for
> Subversion.

+1.

Re: Proposal: Start of release cycle for 1.0.2

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
+1, and thanks for making it happen.

> [...]

>  * fixed: better support for shared working copies [not finished] (issue
> #1509)
>
> There are at least two additional problems which can be fixed by releasing
> 1.0.2:
>
> * assertion failure in the libsvn_ra_svn which manifests itself (at least)
> on obstructed updates (r9293; proposed and accepted)
> * 1.0.1 identifying itself as a '-dev' build
>
> There are a series of items in STATUS which could be merged if they had
> enough +1's.
>
> I think the list above (especially the assertion failure) warrents a new
> patch release.
>
> To allow some time for review of the remaining STATUS items I propose the
> following timeline:
>
> - Time to vote on items in STATUS until the end of Thursday April 15th;
> - Releasing the 1.0.2 tarball on Friday or over the weekend depending on

There is also a small issue with mod_authz_svn which I need to fix.  I'll
get around to that today...

Sander