Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/12 22:15:57 UTC

Re: Domain name change

Hi All,

Greetings.
I have posted the question below to James Users list now adding Developers
list to get more inside of it.

We have to rename the domain in our existing James server and Is there away
to handle this scenario by porting the old emails to new domain etc.,

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sai

Re: Domain name change

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Sai,

I didn't think to it, but 'Alias' seems like a nice way to answer your need.

We call it now 'Recipient Rewrite' (read more on
http://james.apache.org/server/3/manage-recipientrewrite.html)

You can access it via the command line interface (ADDADDRESSMAPPING,
REMOVEADDRESSMAPPING, ADDREGEXMAPPING, REMOVEREGEXMAPPING) (Mapping is
the old name).

You can also use the JMX interface directly (all methods listed on
http://james.apache.org/server/3/manage-recipientrewrite.html are
available via JMX).

Thx,

Eric

Re: Domain name change

Posted by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Re: Domain name change

Posted by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Re: Domain name change

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Pao and Sai,

With virtualhosting enabled, the username contain the domain which makes
the things a bit more tricky.

There are 2 manual options:

1. update the tables content (JAMES_DOMAIN.DOMAIN, JAMES_MAILBOX.NAME
and also SUBSCRIPTION.MAILBOX) via a script (sql, or jdbc)

2. Copy to maildir, rename the ./var/store/maildir/your-domain to
./var/store/maildir/your-new-domain, reimport into a new database (with
previous creation of needed users and domain).

If I had to do it, I would copy via the maildir copy, but I think to
remember from previous posts you had issues to restore. Is this still
the case?

Btw, the emails that users will find in their folders will not have a
to-address that will map the the newly defined domain.

Thx,
Eric

On 14/12/11 22:15, Saibabu Vallurupalli wrote:
> Hi Eric, Also run JPA.
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Pao, Vanessa<vp...@harris.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I work with Sai and was asked to answer the first question.
>>
>> We have the following settings in the following files:
>> useresrepositorymysql.xml->  enableVirtualHosting set to true
>> usersrepository23.xml ->  enableVirtualHosting set to false
>> usersrepository.xml ->  enableVirtualHosting set to true
>>
>> I don't know when each xml file is used by Apache James, so I included
>> them all.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Vanessa Pao

Eric