Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Giorgio Gallo <gi...@allos.it> on 2006/03/01 13:23:22 UTC

[M2 REPO] mess in /servicemix

Hi!

I'm sorry to write at an inappropriate address (got this from
http://maven.apache.org/project-faq.html) - I just couldn't find
anything like repo-mantainer@maven.apache.org or similar.

Please forward to a more appropriate one (if there is one).

This email is to let you know i stumbled into
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/servicemix/ and - I fear - there is far
too mutch stuff in there (eg: eclipse components, xalan, xerces, ...).

I would also like to suggest creating some kind of facility to mantain
and "moderate" the m2 repo (I'm ready to help if needed).

Re: [M2 REPO] mess in /servicemix

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
we'll make sure they don't do ;) the version in svn is becoming clear

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> When we implement something like <provides>, so that these can say
> "treat me like the real one if it ever turns up", then this is probably
> a reasonably expedient way.

The meaning of <provides/> is really "i am the real one, but an
equivalent _will_ show up".

> I'd much rather they use a private repo where they can do what they want
> until they get it into ibiblio. I think that's a better solution. WDYT?

That's probably the best solution. Anyone can still build against a
project hosted repository and it stays out of the ibiblio population.
Then the project can take whatever measures to get the real dependencies
to ibiblio but everything can still function. Sounds like a good concept
to promote.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
The Codehaus Jira, Project Maven Evangelism (MEV) is the place to file
bugs with comments like these: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV

"This is a mess" is probably not going to result in a good fix. From
the page: "Please note that we don't have full knowledge of the
projects whose jars are in the repository, so if you don't provide a
solution we won't be able to fix issues that require project knowledge
and we'll be forced to close your issue as incomplete."

As for wishing you could "moderate" the m2 repo, I'm sure you're not alone.

Wayne