Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andreas Krey <a....@gmx.de> on 2012/03/14 15:33:35 UTC

Cannot accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:ignore' property

Hi,

the full glory:

  svn: E175008: Commit failed (details follow):
  svn: E175008: At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
  svn: E175002: Error setting property 'ignore':
  Cannot accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:ignore' property

For one it would really helpful to know which of the seventeen
svn:ignore properties is the culprit.

But the real strange thing: I did only do a merge; not actually
edit any properties myself.

Is that coming from doing the merge on unix while most other
commits (and all of the properties) are done on windows?

Or is svn 1.7.x (the client) more picky? (But it looks like
a server message.)

Even worse: There are only 0a (LF) line endings in the ignore properties.
No 0d (CR) in sight; at least in the output of 'svn pg svn:ignore'.

Using a 1.7 client on an 1.5.few server.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:29:21 -0800

Re: Cannot accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:ignore' property

Posted by Andreas Krey <a....@gmx.de>.
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:33:35 +0000, Andreas Krey wrote:
>   Cannot accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:ignore' property
> Even worse: There are only 0a (LF) line endings in the ignore properties.
> No 0d (CR) in sight; at least in the output of 'svn pg svn:ignore'.
>
> Using a 1.7 client on an 1.5.few server.

..and it's the same with an 1.6.6 client.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:29:21 -0800

Re: Cannot accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:ignore' property

Posted by Andreas Krey <a....@gmx.de>.
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:06:08 +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Andreas Krey wrote on Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 15:33:35 +0100:
> > But the real strange thing: I did only do a merge; not actually
> > edit any properties myself.
> >

> So?  Propchanges are merged too.

Yes, but they weren't modified (but moved with the tree) in the whole
branch lifetime on either trunk or the branch. And they both look good
(only printable chars and \n/0x0a in the properties, with --strict).

Unfortunately the problem has been resolved by throwing away the
properties. Also it happened not on the conflicted forward merge
into the branch, but on the --reintegrate backmerge, and I've had
thrown away the other sandboxes that refuse to commit in frustration.

(And this was one of those frustrating merges where you get just
a delete/edit conflict on src/com when the merge algorithm didn't
realize that src/com was actually moved to src/java/com and thus
fails to apply the changes in src/com there.)

> > Using a 1.7 client on an 1.5.few server.
>
> I think the error message only exists in 1.6+ servers.

You're right, someone had mercy, and it's 1.6.6.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:29:21 -0800

Re: Cannot accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:ignore' property

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Andreas Krey wrote on Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 15:33:35 +0100:
> Hi,
>
> the full glory:
>
>   svn: E175008: Commit failed (details follow):
>   svn: E175008: At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
>   svn: E175002: Error setting property 'ignore':
>   Cannot accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:ignore' property
>
> For one it would really helpful to know which of the seventeen
> svn:ignore properties is the culprit.

It's probably an easy patch to libsvn_repos/fs-wrap.c.

> But the real strange thing: I did only do a merge; not actually
> edit any properties myself.

So?  Propchanges are merged too.

> Is that coming from doing the merge on unix while most other
> commits (and all of the properties) are done on windows?
>
> Or is svn 1.7.x (the client) more picky? (But it looks like
> a server message.)
>
> Even worse: There are only 0a (LF) line endings in the ignore properties.
> No 0d (CR) in sight; at least in the output of 'svn pg svn:ignore'.

Looking for 0x0a is the right thing, but you want 'propget --strict'.