Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2010/07/13 14:54:19 UTC

Re: sources jar in local repo out of step

> Ping. Can anyone try doing this?
>
>   ...ant

So I've just come across the issue. I've been running without source
jars (AFAIK) until now. For some reason source jars were created in my
repo over the last day or so. It's possible that the were downloaded
as SNAPSHOT dependencies as I've never explicitly run mvn -Psource.
Now when I debug anything that depends on the repo rather than local
eclipse projects the source is out of date particular because I have
local changes which are not of course included in the source jars out
there on the network.

I imagine the solution would be running mvn -Psource locally. However
this fails for me today...

Reason: POM 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-source-plugin' not found in reposito
ry: Unable to download the artifact from any repository

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-source-plugin:pom:2.1.1

from the specified remote repositories:
  indiana (http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/eclipse/modeling/emf/emf/maven2/),
  java.net (http://download.java.net/maven/1),
  apache.incubator (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
  apache (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository),
  java.net2 (http://download.java.net/maven/2),
  apache.ws.zone (http://ws.zones.apache.org/repository2),
  codehaus-snapshot (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org),
  apache.snapshots (http://repository.apache.org/snapshots),
  intalio.org (http://www.intalio.org/public/maven2),
  tuscany.repo (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/maven),
  maven.central (http://repo2.maven.org/maven2),
  osuosl.org (http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/eclipse/tools/emf/maven2)

 for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-source-plugin

I suspect this is because the central repo is down. However having
said that is there much of a time overhead in generating the source
jars? In the particular case I'm having the problem I have to run mvn
to build and changes I make so I'm happy to do that. Does -Psource add
much time to that. If not then maybe it's OK but I can't say for sure
until I can actually try it.

For the time being I'm removing the source jars from my repo.

Simon

Re: sources jar in local repo out of step

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Ping. Can anyone try doing this?
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> So I've just come across the issue. I've been running without source
> jars (AFAIK) until now. For some reason source jars were created in my
> repo over the last day or so. It's possible that the were downloaded
> as SNAPSHOT dependencies as I've never explicitly run mvn -Psource.
> Now when I debug anything that depends on the repo rather than local
> eclipse projects the source is out of date particular because I have
> local changes which are not of course included in the source jars out
> there on the network.

Yep it continues to be a problematic for me too.

> I imagine the solution would be running mvn -Psource locally. However
> this fails for me today...
>
> Reason: POM 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-source-plugin' not found in reposito
> ry: Unable to download the artifact from any repository
>
>  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-source-plugin:pom:2.1.1
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>  indiana (http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/eclipse/modeling/emf/emf/maven2/),
>  java.net (http://download.java.net/maven/1),
>  apache.incubator (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
>  apache (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository),
>  java.net2 (http://download.java.net/maven/2),
>  apache.ws.zone (http://ws.zones.apache.org/repository2),
>  codehaus-snapshot (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org),
>  apache.snapshots (http://repository.apache.org/snapshots),
>  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>  intalio.org (http://www.intalio.org/public/maven2),
>  tuscany.repo (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/maven),
>  maven.central (http://repo2.maven.org/maven2),
>  osuosl.org (http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/eclipse/tools/emf/maven2)
>
>  for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-source-plugin
>
> I suspect this is because the central repo is down. However having
> said that is there much of a time overhead in generating the source
> jars? In the particular case I'm having the problem I have to run mvn
> to build and changes I make so I'm happy to do that. Does -Psource add
> much time to that. If not then maybe it's OK but I can't say for sure
> until I can actually try it.

AFAICT adding the source build takes an insignificant amount of time,
try it yourselves in modules/monitor or some other module or all the
modules. I wish i'd never mentioned any overhead as it seems like its
a total distraction.

> For the time being I'm removing the source jars from my repo.

They're also now in the real snapshot repo and now that we have a
mechanism for generating source jars but only do it sometimes there
will forever be the chance that some poor sod at some point ends up
getting an out of sync jar. The only solutions i can see are to always
build the sources or never build the sources. Looking at other
projects that do provide source jars it looks like they build them on
every build, i think we should try doing that and see if it works ok.

   ...ant