Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> on 2019/07/29 06:45:33 UTC

Javadoc popup works, but "Show Javadoc" does not.

Using NetBeans 11.1 on Windows.

I have a strange behaviour with displaying Javadoc help for methods from the JDK.

The code completion (Ctrl-Space) displays the little Javadoc popup and so does the JavaDoc window (Window -> IDE Tools -> JavaDoc Documentation) when I open it.

But Alt-F1 ("Show Javadoc") for that exact same method (where the Javadoc popup is displayed) only gives an "Cannot perform Show Javadoc here" message in the status line.

Shift-F1 ("Search Javadoc") also finds the relevant entry, and doubleclicking on it opens the default browser with the JDK documentation.

This is with a Maven project using OpenJDK 11 with self generated JavaDocs.

It seems that "Alt-F1" (or choosing "Show Javadoc" from the context menu in the editor) uses a different way to find the Javadoc than all the other methods.

Is it possible that my self-generated Javadoc is missing something that "Show Javadoc" needs, but the other methods don't?

This is how I generate the Javadoc index from the source of OpenJDK:

  javadoc -quiet -d docs -Xdoclint:none --expand-requires all --module-source-path src --module java.se

Do I need to specify a different "starting module"? Or is there a better way to generate the Javadoc for OpenJDK?

The usual panacea "start with a clean userdir" did not change this.

Thomas

Re: Javadoc popup works, but "Show Javadoc" does not.

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
Does nobody have an idea what's wrong with my installation?

Thomas

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 13:45, Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Neil C Smith schrieb am 13.08.2019 um 12:57:
> > Does making that
> > https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/12/docs/api/java.base/ (kind
> > of) work for you?
>
> No, that does not make a difference (and I would prefer the local JavaDocs anyway)

Interesting.  That works fine here, at least for anything in java.base!

> What I understand why the popup works just fine, but not the display in the browser.
> Where does the popup get the JavaDocs from?

As I said, it's using the source code as far as I know.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Javadoc popup works, but "Show Javadoc" does not.

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com>.
Dear Neil,

Sorry, no. Still "Cannot perform Javadoc here". But shift-F1 works OK (as it did before).

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com>.
Dear Thomas,

I have a similar problem, but with the Oracle JDK. I specify the Javadoc index as
	https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/12/docs/api/

Also using NB 11.1 on Windows. Maybe Alt-F1 is broken in 11.1??

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com