Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Eshcar Hillel <es...@oath.com.INVALID> on 2017/11/23 15:35:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Performance degradation in master (compared to 2-alpha-1)

Happy Thanksgiving all,
In recent benchmarks I ran in HBASE-18294 I discovered major performance degradation of master code w.r.t 2-alpha-1 code.I am running write-only workload (similar to the one reported in HBASE-16417). I am using the same hardware and same configuration settings (specifically, I testes both basic memstore compaction with optimal parameters, and no memsore compaction).While in 2-alpha-1 code I see throughput of ~110Kops for basic compaction and ~80Kops for no compaction, in the master code I get only 60Kops and 55Kops, respectively. *This is almost 50% reduction in performance*.
(1) Did anyone else noticed such degradation?(2) Do we have any systematic automatic/semi-automatic method to track the sources of this performance issue?
Thanks,Eshcar

Re: [DISCUSS] Performance degradation in master (compared to 2-alpha-1)

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Since handling regression isn't the goal of HBASE-18294, mind logging
another JIRA ?

I applied patch v6 from HBASE-18294 on branch-2 and observed minor conflict
(CellUtil.java). Meaning compaction / flush code is mostly the same between
branch-2 and master.

Over HBASE-19338, > 20% boost was reported with patch. However, that is not
enough to bring performance back.

Cheers

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.
I do not know if this is related, but test suite for backup now runs 57 min
on master. It used to run under 34

-Vlad

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.
Eschar,

In ur tests did u notice any increase in Log size? Specially

LOG.warn("Large batch operation detected (greater than " + rowSizeWarnThreshold
            + ") (HBASE-18023)." + " Requested Number of Rows: " + sum
+ " Client: "
            + RpcServer.getRequestUserName().orElse(null) + "/"
            + RpcServer.getRemoteAddress().orElse(null)
            + " first region in multi=" + firstRegionName);

-Anoop-

Posted by Eshcar Hillel <es...@oath.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
I do not mean this is the ONLY problem, and this may not be the problem in
your case, but I think it is worth to tell people about the possible reason
of performance downgrading right?

Thanks.

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 宾莉金(binlijin) <bi...@gmail.com>.

--
*Best Regards,*
 lijin bin

Re: [DISCUSS] Performance degradation in master (compared to 2-alpha-1)

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.
Ted,

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.