Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2009/07/22 14:40:51 UTC

Sandbox build issues

Hi all,

I was trying to build the sandbox today and noticed several
issues (see also Marshall's earlier note).

1. The sandbox build is not documented, or at least I
couldn't find anything.  There's a short bit under
"creating a distribution", but there's nothing about
just building in eclipse, for example.

2. The sandbox build requires the docbook-tools project
from the core to be in the same directory.  That's not
nice, because you can't extract the core and the
sandbox into the same directory from svn, svn balks.

3. Some of the sandbox documentation is built during
"mvn install", some isn't.  Do we have a prefered way?

I would add some documentation on the sandbox build
to our "source code" web page, and try to address 2.
above with an environment variable or something
appropriate in maven.  Thoughts?

--Thilo

Re: Sandbox build issues

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>
>> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was trying to build the sandbox today and noticed several
>>> issues (see also Marshall's earlier note).
>>>
>>> 1. The sandbox build is not documented, or at least I
>>> couldn't find anything.  There's a short bit under
>>> "creating a distribution", but there's nothing about
>>> just building in eclipse, for example.
>>>
>>> 2. The sandbox build requires the docbook-tools project
>>> from the core to be in the same directory.  That's not
>>> nice, because you can't extract the core and the
>>> sandbox into the same directory from svn, svn balks.
>>>

>> What is the SVN issue that prevents this?
>>

> I have uimaj checked out to c:\build\uima
> Then I do:
> C:\build>svn co https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/sandbox/trunk
> uima
> svn: 'uima' is already a working copy for a different URL
>
> Which makes sense.  UIMA-AS has the same issue, except it's
> embedded in the sandbox.
>

>>> 3. Some of the sandbox documentation is built during
>>> "mvn install", some isn't.  Do we have a prefered way?
>>>

>> I seem to recall (but may be in error :-) ) that the preferred way is to
>> build during mvn assembly.  As I recall, this was because the docbook
>> builds took some time, and we didn't want to do them over and over with
>> each mvn install.
>>

> I don't care at this point, I'd like to make some
> progress with the release.
>
> Doesn't everybody think that a command line build
> that works out of our svn structure is not optional?
> We go to all this trouble on the eclipse headless
> build, but we don't care if we have to manually
> copy around whole directory structures before we
> can build the sandbox and AS?  I expect to be able
> to delete my local maven repo and do something like this:
>
> svn co https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk uima-core
> cd uima-core/uimaj
> mvn install
> cd ../uimaj-distr
> mvn assembly:assembly
> cd ../..
> svn co https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/sandbox/trunk uima-sandbox
> cd uima-sandbox/SandboxDistr
> mvn install assembly:assembly
> cd ..
> cd uima-as/uimaj-as
> mvn install
> cd ../uima-as-distr
> mvn assembly:assembly
>
> If uima-as could be built with the rest of the sandbox,
> that would be even better, but I'm not asking for miracles.
> Please lend a hand here.  I'll gladly document this when
> it's done, but I have no plans to dive into the maven
> mysteries that surround this issue.  Thanks.

OK, I'll lend a hand...  I think I'll have time to work on this later
today and over the weekend...
-Marshall

Re: Sandbox build issues

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Re: Sandbox build issues

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: Sandbox build issues

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> 2. The sandbox build requires the docbook-tools project
>> from the core to be in the same directory.  That's not
>> nice, because you can't extract the core and the
>> sandbox into the same directory from svn, svn balks.
>>

> When I am working on a sandbox project I just add
> it to my uima workspace and then it can see dockbook
> tools project.
>
> Jörn

Yes, that's what I usually do, too.  But when I'm working
on a release, like now, I regularly do clean extracts
from svn, on the command line, and command line builds.
It would also be nice if we had instructions for other
people who don't use eclipse on how to build the sandbox.
So yes, for day-to-day development I agree, but the command
line way should work as well.

--Thilo

Re: Sandbox build issues

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.