Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> on 2011/06/06 16:12:54 UTC

Re: VCL2.2.1 & Windows 7 slow boot time

I haven't experienced this.  What is on the console during this time?
Do you see the "Starting Windows" screen.  Does it happen every time
you reboot the VM or only the first time it is powered on?  There may
also be helpful information in the Windows event log.

-Andy

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Forgot to mention - also check "OS boot information" under the Boot tab.

Re: VCL2.2.1 & Windows 7 slow boot time

Posted by Kelly Robinson <is...@langate.gsu.edu>.
Not sure which of these changes made the most difference, but I removed the floppy disk from the base image (since the cloned image is not configured with one).  I also removed the iso image that was mounted on the cd/dvd drive of the base image and turned off netbios on each interface.  The startup appears to be faster.  I will continue testing and let you know if there are any issues.

Thanks,
Kelly

>>> Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> 06/14/11 9:23 AM >>>
I'd try to configure the image to not show the GUI "Starting Windows"
screen so you can see where it is hanging.
-Run msconfig
-Select the Boot tab
-Select "No GUI boot" and "Boot log"

If the delay is happening each time you restart the image you can just
manually reboot at this point.  If not, you'll have to save a revision
with these settings applied.

When the VM boots you should see a list of items being loaded.  The
last one to appear before the delay doesn't really tell you much by
itself but it is useful when you Google the problem.

My guess would be a driver problem.  Have you tried reinstalling VMware tools?

-Andy

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Kelly Robinson <is...@langate.gsu.edu>.