Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1995/03/21 21:01:53 UTC

Re: Customizable logging 33 1/3

>  |  * Customize your log files!
>  |  * %i - Hostname/IP number
>  |  * %9 - RFC931 userid
>
> I don't like %digit much. Maybe some day we'll want to limit the size
> using %20i for instance, so :)

I don't like the idea of using %  for any variables other than
time 'cos it makes it difficult to distinguish between time
and non-time variables, and it gets cryptic.

So, revistiting an earlier thread, what's the feeling on
using $ENV_VAR to specify variables held by the server ?

The main problem that was raised was related to escaping
of possible delimiter characters. How about the following
syntax.

              replaced with
$ENV_VAR  - whatever ENV variable the server has called "ENV_VAR"
%ENV_VAR  - escaped version of "ENV_VAR"
               the escape char mapping is defined at compile/config time,
               e.g.  LOG_ESCAPE_CHAR = ' '
                     LOG_ESCAPE_REPLACE = "%20"

$|%ENV_VAR[x,y] - un|escaped  x'th field of ENV_VAR, using delimiter 'y'
               e.g.  $ENV_VAR[3, ] =  3rd space delimited field of ENV_VAR

$|%ENV_VAR{x,y} - un|escaped xth to yth characters of ENV_VAR

?ENV_VAR[x,y]   - output x if ENV_VAR has a value, else output y

plus the standard time/date formatting options.

rob