Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com> on 2015/05/13 13:06:18 UTC

Batch Scheduler with dependency support

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone out there knew of a good mesos batch scheduler which supports dependencies between tasks? (ie Task B cannot run until Task A is complete)

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: Batch Scheduler with dependency support

Posted by Tom Arnfeld <to...@duedil.com>.
@Tim We're running a combination of an in-house DAG scheduler we wrote a few years back (kind of like https://github.com/spotify/luigi) in combination with Jenkins. I'm not aware of a fully blown DAG scheduler that exists as a Mesos framework but Jenkins might be a way to go, it works well for us.

We also looked into https://github.com/Yelp/Tron many years back but didn't end up using it, perhaps that's a route you could take.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a DAG scheduler that can run tasks on Mesos ;-)

--

Tom Arnfeld

Developer // DueDil

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 9:15 pm, Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>, wrote:

Hi Alex,

Have you by chance integrated with any of the tradition batch DAG systems?

http://pegasus.isi.edu/ , http://ccl.cse.nd.edu/software/makeflow/

I keep longing for folks with decades of experience in HTC&HPC to chime in "on-list".

Subtle nudge ;-)

Tim

Posted by Pablo Cingolani <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Everyone,
   I've just sent a mail to the list introducing BDS, my simple scripting
language that runs on Mesos:

   http://pcingola.github.io/BigDataScript/

@Aaron: It looks like BDS should fit what you are looking for. BDS is
designed for complex pipelines with many dependencies (at least that's
what most people are using it for).

@Dougals and @Sharma: BDS also has the same structure where
dependencies are resolved and then sent to the scheduler.

Please let me know what you think.
Yours

    Pablo

Posted by Sharma Podila <sp...@netflix.com>.
Hi Aaron, yeah, an in-house one.

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.
Hi Sharma,

________________________________

Posted by Douglas Thain <dt...@nd.edu>.
@Tim Thanks for the pingback on Makeflow.  At the moment, Makeflow
works with the most widely used batch schedulers (Condor, SGE, Torque,
etc) and we are looking into adding support for Mesos.  Makeflow
assumes that the underlying system has an queueing api of the form
(submit/wait/status/remove) so it may make more sense to submit tasks
to an intermediate service (e.g. Singularity?) that then interfaces
with Mesos to match resource offers with requests.  We are open to
suggestions here.

@Sharma +1 on your architectural observation.  Our experience is
similar in that you want to have one component responsible for
handling dependencies, and then pass off the ready tasks to a
scheduler.  If you mix scheduling of tasks with dependency management,
the implementation gets very complicated very quickly.  It also allows
for a wide variety of workflow languages to fit application needs:

Posted by Alex Gaudio <ad...@gmail.com>.
@Tim Chen

<http://pegasus.isi.edu/wms/docs/latest/job_clustering.php> looks

Posted by Sharma Podila <sp...@netflix.com>.

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
Hi Alex,

--
Cheers,
Timothy St. Clair

Re: Batch Scheduler with dependency support

Posted by Tim Chen <ti...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi Alex,

Thanks for replying and looks like a really interesting framework! I was
orginally aiming the question back to Aaron as he stated he's looking for a
batch job scheduler.

Do you have some rough stats how many jobs or data you guys are computing
with Stolos?

Tim

Posted by Alex Gaudio <ad...@gmail.com>.
I should also mention that I run Stolos as a Mesos executor and another
tool I wrote, Relay.Mesos, as the Mesos Scheduler (that spins up Stolos
Executors).

The github links for these tools are:

https://github.com/sailthru/relay.mesos

Posted by Alex Gaudio <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim (and everyone else!),

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.
It varies, some inhouse apps, some commerical software. Although we're wrapping everything in a docker container for consistency.

There are usually multiple steps for each task, and these steps can often be subdivided into multiple parallel processes. Different steps require different executables though.

Aaron

________________________________

Posted by Tim Chen <ti...@mesosphere.io>.

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.
Thanks Andras!

This is very interesting, it comes quite close to what we're looking for,

Thanks,
Aaron

________________________________

Posted by Andras Kerekes <an...@ishisystems.com>.

  _____

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.

Posted by Jeff Schroeder <je...@computer.org>.

--
Text by Jeff, typos by iPhone

RE: Batch Scheduler with dependency support

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.
Thanks Jeff,

Posted by Jeff Schroeder <je...@computer.org>.

--
Text by Jeff, typos by iPhone

RE: Batch Scheduler with dependency support

Posted by Jeff Schroeder <je...@computer.org>.

--
Text by Jeff, typos by iPhone

Re: Batch Scheduler with dependency support

Posted by craig mcmillan <mc...@gmail.com>.
ah, sorry, no : i'm conflating the two ... we run all our batch jobs on
a schedule

:c

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.

Posted by craig mcmillan <mc...@gmail.com>.