Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/06 05:17:06 UTC

Very Troubled in Finding Ways to Pass a Variable to a Class

I have a class FindEditorData.java.  I want to pass a
vairable 'username' to this class for some processing.
 This class is invoked from a JSP:

and the value of the 'username' is obtained this way:

String username = request.getRemoteUser();

Due to my limited knowledge in Struts,  I cannot
figure out what to do.  Let me explain the problem:

1. This class has this method:

   public Object execute() throws Exception { ... }

   I do not make this class extends HttpServlet or
extends Action.  I cannot nest a method inside a
doGet/doPost or the Action's excute().

2. The action mapping in the struts-config.xml is this
way:
    <action
        roles="editor"
        path="/find/Category"

type="org.apache.struts.scaffold.ProcessAction"
        parameter="org.XYZ.article.FindEditorData"
        name="articleForm"
        validate="false">
       <forward
            name="success"
            path=".article.Result"/>
    </action>

I am stuck because I do not know how to pass
'username' to the FindEditorData.java.  I cannot
state:

   String username = request.getRemoteUser();
   or
   String username = (String)session.getAttribute(
"EditorName" );

   because the FindEditorData is not a servlet and
does not extend Action.

I cannot pass a hidden variable from the JSP because I
do not know how to retrieve the value of a hidden
variable in a Java class.

Need clever ideas.  Please help.

Re: Very Troubled in Finding Ways to Pass a Variable to a Class

Posted by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>.
I know how to pass a hidden field.  The problem is how
to retrieve it in my Java class.  I have illustrated
that my Java class does not extend HttpServlet or
Action.

This Java class has a mapping in the struts-config.xml
file:

type="org.apache.struts.scaffold.ProcessAction"
parameter="org.XYZ.article.FindEditorData"
name="articleForm"

-Caroline