Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org> on 2014/08/05 12:10:54 UTC

[Vote] Upgrading junit to 4.11

Currently we use junit 4.10. By looking at the release notes of 4.11[0]
there's a nice improvement on the Assume that we use, being able to
provide a custom message.

(0)
https://github.com/junit-team/junit/blob/master/doc/ReleaseNotes4.11.md#improvements-to-assert-and-assume

I find it very useful cause some time tests are skip because of the
failing assumption but we don't have any messages back and it's
difficult to spot it.

Let's vote for an upgrade and test. If passed I'll file an issue and
follow up.

[ ] +1 let's upgrade and test to junit 4.11
[ ] -1 no, I don't see any added value

My vote: +1

Cheers
Davide

Re: [Vote] Upgrading junit to 4.11

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 05/08/2014 14:36, Alex Parvulescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The proposed update sounds good, you should go for it.
> There is no need for a vote beforehand, a Jira issue with a patch attached
> works just fine.

For the records I gave a quick try on local and it seems that even by
upgrading to the latest surefire (2.17)  and junit (4.11) we still don't
have proper Assume handling and message reporting.

I don't see the real added value in this case.

In the @BeforeClass the custom message is not reported and the Assume
makes the test properly ignored. In the @Before or @Test the message is
reported but the Assume makes the test failing.

D.

Re: [Vote] Upgrading junit to 4.11

Posted by Alex Parvulescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The proposed update sounds good, you should go for it.
There is no need for a vote beforehand, a Jira issue with a patch attached
works just fine.

best,
alex

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.