Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tore Engvig <te...@manamind.com> on 2001/11/05 18:53:28 UTC

RE: Alternative to SVG

I've added some sort of eps support.
The code and an example is available here:

http://vaggen.net/~tengvig/fop/

This is for Fop-0.20.2 (I'll add it to cvs eventually)

This uses PDF XObject for the pdf renderer and does not show a preview. If
the preview is
included as comments in the eps it's not stripped. You have to print to a
postscript printer
to actually view the pdf (or run it through distiller or generate a ps from
pdf and run it through ghostscript's pdfwrite).

I also added it to the postscript renderer, but there is a litte bug
regarding placement of the
image (see test file). I'm sure this is easy to fix?

Some of the nice things with eps are the ability to add cmyk images or use
ICC profiles and
also embed CID encoded Type 1 fonts.

I think it's a very big task to create "real" eps support for the pdf
renderer. I don't see how to
accomplish that without making a postscript interpreter. So this is
something that fit's more
into ghostscript, or if someone really want to create a postscript
interpreter, to batik.
Speaking of batik, I'm sure everyone would be very happy of someone improved
the WMF transcoder.

Tore