Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by siberian <si...@siberian.org> on 2000/11/13 21:10:16 UTC

Win32 Proxy question

I know I get a lot when I use a lightweight proxy in front of my modperl
servers under UNIX but how about under Win32? Since it uses a different
model does a
reverse proxy really give you that warm and fuzzy feeling or does it just
become another layer between the system and the user?

I am fairly ignorant of the way Win32 does its threading etc so I ask.

Thanks for any input

John Armstrong

Re: Win32 Proxy question

Posted by Chris Winters <ch...@cwinters.com>.
* Gunther Birznieks (gunther@extropia.com) [001114 00:42]:
> I believe that you are until the model completely changes under Apache
> 2.0... Until Unix Apache supports multi-threading, supporting it in windows
> pre-2.0 is not quite such a high priority I suspect.
>
> You should consider using ActiveState's PerlEx. Yes, it's commercial but
> development is free and the commercial license is not going to break any
> budgets (I think less than US$1000). The downside is that it's only an
> Apache::Registry clone. But if all you need is Perl spedup, it's a nice
> solution. THe plus is getting support from ActiveState. They compile all
> the Win32 modules so if you run into a multithreaded problem with a module
> then they can try hammering on it or even work on fixing it.
>
> In fact, I dare say that ActiveState has probably caused a lot of
> multithreaded module legwork to be done before mod_perl moves to that model
> which is a good thing. Since most modules will have already been fairly
> debugged when Apache/mod_perl 2.0 are out.

I don't work for ActiveState or anything, but I'll second what Gunther
said. And PerlEx is only $395, IMO a steal. I'm not sure why more
people don't use this. (OTOH, if you can get away with how mod_perl
currently works on Win32 then there's not much point in PerlEx.)

Chris

--
Chris Winters (chris@cwinters.com)
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.

Re: Win32 Proxy question

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
At 02:05 PM 11/13/00 -0800, Ian Struble wrote:
>You can still get alot out of a proxy if you have a win32 box doing
>heavyweight mod_perl stuff.  The only thing is that you need to have it
>on a different machine because mod_proxy doesn't hack it on a win32
>machine.  I'm sure that you could do it with something other that
>apache+mod_proxy if you wanted to keep it all on one machine.
>
>Actually, I might have been having problems with mod_proxy because of
>problems in the tcp stack in SP4 that are now fixed in SP6.  So you
>might want to play around a little bit and see if it works.
>
>Question for the list -- are we still limited to a single interpretter
>thread with mod_perl on win32?

I believe that you are until the model completely changes under Apache
2.0... Until Unix Apache supports multi-threading, supporting it in windows
pre-2.0 is not quite such a high priority I suspect.

You should consider using ActiveState's PerlEx. Yes, it's commercial but
development is free and the commercial license is not going to break any
budgets (I think less than US$1000). The downside is that it's only an
Apache::Registry clone. But if all you need is Perl spedup, it's a nice
solution. THe plus is getting support from ActiveState. They compile all
the Win32 modules so if you run into a multithreaded problem with a module
then they can try hammering on it or even work on fixing it.

In fact, I dare say that ActiveState has probably caused a lot of
multithreaded module legwork to be done before mod_perl moves to that model
which is a good thing. Since most modules will have already been fairly
debugged when Apache/mod_perl 2.0 are out.

>Ian
>

>On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, siberian wrote:
>
> > I know I get a lot when I use a lightweight proxy in front of my modperl
> > servers under UNIX but how about under Win32? Since it uses a different
> > model does a
> > reverse proxy really give you that warm and fuzzy feeling or does it just
> > become another layer between the system and the user?
> >
> > I am fairly ignorant of the way Win32 does its threading etc so I ask.
> >
> > Thanks for any input
> >
> > John Armstrong

Gunther Birznieks (gunther.birznieks@extropia.com)
eXtropia - The Web Technology Company
http://www.extropia.com/

Re: Win32 Proxy question

Posted by Ian Struble <ia...@broken.net>.
How hard are you pounding it in the 'lab'?  I don't remember how hard I
had to pound to break my win32 proxy(NT4,SP4 and Apache 1.3.9 or 11) but
it wasn't all that hard.  You should be able to pound pretty hard with an
LWP based pounder.

Re: Win32 Proxy question

Posted by siberian <si...@siberian.org>.

Re: Win32 Proxy question