Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> on 2014/08/05 21:19:00 UTC

Java 8 with Tapestry 5.3.x?

Is there an easy way to get Tapestry 5.3.7 to work with Java 8? Or is
there a plan to release 5.3.8 that would be Java 8 compatible? The big
reason I'm asking is that Java 7 goes EOL next April. I would love to
start moving our applications over to libraries that support Java 8
starting now so hopefully we can be off of Java 7 when it goes EOL.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Java 8 with Tapestry 5.3.x?

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 08/05/2014 02:46 PM, Andreas Ernst wrote:
> Am 05.08.14 21:19, schrieb Richard Frovarp:
>> Is there an easy way to get Tapestry 5.3.7 to work with Java 8? Or is
>> there a plan to release 5.3.8 that would be Java 8 compatible? The big
>> reason I'm asking is that Java 7 goes EOL next April. I would love to
>> start moving our applications over to libraries that support Java 8
>> starting now so hopefully we can be off of Java 7 when it goes EOL.
>
> I use
>
> tux:~ # java -version
> java version "1.8.0_11"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.11-b03, mixed mode)
>
> Opensuse 13.1, with GF 4 and T 5.4-beta-15

I don't exactly want to swap an EOL'd JVM for a beta framework version.
I look forward to using 5.4 once it is out of beta and released.
However, it's not going to be a direct drop in for us like a new 5.3
should be. And if I'm going to touch the code that much, I'd love to
bring the older code out of Spring Security to the Shiro based
tapestry-security, just adding to the work.

Re: Java 8 with Tapestry 5.3.x?

Posted by Andreas Ernst <ae...@ae-online.de>.

--
ae | Andreas Ernst | IT Spektrum
Postfach 5, 65612 Beselich

Re: Java 8 with Tapestry 5.3.x?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 16:19:00 -0300, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Is there an easy way to get Tapestry 5.3.7 to work with Java 8? Or is
> there a plan to release 5.3.8 that would be Java 8 compatible?

There's a plan to release 5.3.8 with Java 8 support, which is already done
in Git, just not released as a JAR yet.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

RE: Java 8 with Tapestry 5.3.x?

Posted by Tony Nelson <tn...@starpoint.com>.
Heh, I'm still running one site with Tapestry 4 and Java 6.  And yes, it's still getting active updates.

My new version of the site is being written in 5.3.7 with Java 7, but I have another year or so at least according to the project plan, until it will be done.

Since 1982, Starpoint Solutions has been a trusted source of human capital and solutions. We are committed to our clients, employees, environment, community and social concerns.  We foster an inclusive culture based on trust, respect, honesty and solid performance. Learn more about Starpoint and our social responsibility at http://www.starpoint.com/social_responsibility

This email message from Starpoint Solutions LLC is for the sole use of  the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged  information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Starpoint Solutions shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.