Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> on 2022/08/01 05:57:07 UTC

[AOO4.1.13] Performance Issues in writer with OLE objects

Hi all,

I had this morning some wired effects, during my work with AOO.

As soon as I have added a OLE Calc part through Copy&Paste (From
LibreOffice :-D ), I get performance issues including crashes.

Has anyone heard of performance issues in this constraint?

Check out the document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZScKadukzWfZGeJWsTEaGf1ORrLrmwGl/view?usp=sharing

I am on Ubunutu 20.04. AOO is the 4.1.13 RC candidate.

My machine is an Intel I5, with 32GB, and SSD hard disk. (So recent fast
machine)

All the best

Peter

Re: [AOO4.1.13] Performance Issues in writer with OLE objects

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback.

> Hi Peter,
>
> Am 01.08.22 um 07:57 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I had this morning some wired effects, during my work with AOO.
>>
>> As soon as I have added a OLE Calc part through Copy&Paste (From
>> LibreOffice :-D ), I get performance issues including crashes.
>>
>> Has anyone heard of performance issues in this constraint?
>>

>> Check out the document:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZScKadukzWfZGeJWsTEaGf1ORrLrmwGl/view?usp=sharing
>>
> I opened the document and could not reproduce a crash. I only get a slow
> down when scrolling the OLE container.

I am not sure on the crash myself. AOO crashed when I tried to mark a
lot of Rows within the writer table below the OLE object.

I initially connected both incidents because of the slow scrolling, and
I thought this combines both.

So Dave did not get any Performance Issues, but you did. This is
strange. I tried today again and I have again performance Issues.

Ass soon as the Ole Object is to be rendered, AOO behaves like it tries
to deal with a lot of data.

> I also use Ubuntu and my machine is definitely not powerful. ;-)

Well I just wanted to say I have enough power to handle everything.

BTW I am on KDE, but it may be that I have Gnome libaries installed. I
am not sure if this goes into our GNOME issue tolls or is a general thing.

(And I totally agree that we should look into our Gnome implementation.)

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Good luck!

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03.08.22 um 11:34 schrieb Dave:

Hi Dave,

> Sorry folks. Dave Fisher sensed correctly it was a particularly bad day
> with some domestic issues I am dealing with at the moment and I should
> not have vented my frustrations at people who did not deserve my
> "knee-jerk" reaction to a misunderstanding.

I perfectly understand your problem. I also have sometimes situations
where I need to take a deep breath before going on, e.g., posting; and
I'm not always successful.

So, I have no problem with this situation - especially as it was just a
little heat peak and otherwise quite calm - as long as it is not
escalating. And I really appreciate that you have shared with us the
root cause.

> I would like to put my outburst aside and move on with AOO.

That's great. Thanks for your continued trust in the people, project and
software. :-)

Marcus

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

On 8/3/22 5:34 AM, Dave wrote:
> Sorry folks. Dave Fisher sensed correctly it was a particularly bad day
> with some domestic issues I am dealing with at the moment and I should
> not have vented my frustrations at people who did not deserve my
> "knee-jerk" reaction to a misunderstanding.
>
> I would like to put my outburst aside and move on with AOO.

Thanks Dave.
Your participation is greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Carl

Posted by Dave <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 02.08.22 um 18:12 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> After 21 years working with users of OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice, and LibreOffice Dave’s experience should be respected and not dismissed.
I really think that all this was a big misunderstanding. I surely didn't
want to disrespect Dave's experience!

> Assume a bad day or frustration instead of further reaction. Apologizing for misunderstanding someone is good, friendly community building.

But I still hope that his statement was made out of an impulse and AOO
remains not only my beloved project.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
Hello,

I am wondering, what is going on here.

Looking from past to future:

Before moving rights, IMO we have to find substitute persons to do the jobs.

Kind regards
Michael

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.