Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/06/15 04:08:24 UTC

Initial checkin of standalone Tiles

I have a few concerns/questions about the initial checkin of standalone
Tiles into the sandbox, which David indicates in the SVN log is extracted
from Struts 1.1:

1) I'm wondering why this is based on Struts 1.1, rather than the current
version of tiles code? I did a quick scan (for starters) of the tiles taglib
and while there hasn't been a large amount of activity since Struts 1.1
there have been some bug fixes and some other minor changes and it seems a
shame to have to redo these changes rather than copying the current
versions.

2) IMO it would be better to use SVN copy to create the initial code base -
seems a shame to loose all the subversion history by adding these as new
artefacts. Since we have  Struts 1.1 versions tagged they could be copied
either from the current versions or the Struts 1.1 versions.

3) The taglib package has been renamed to "org.apache.taglib.tiles" - I'm
wondering if this will create a confusion with the Jakarta Taglibs project
which uses "org.apache.taglibs.???" package name? Would this not be better
and more consistent as "org.apache.tiles.taglib"?

4) Similar question about the message resources which are being duplicated
from Struts - are we OK to use the "org.apache.util" package name for these
classes rather than "org.apache.tiles.util"? Also, its probably another
discussion, but maybe these need to be replaced with something else (commons
resources?) rather than duplicating from struts.

Niall

Re: Initial checkin of standalone Tiles

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
Le Jun 14, 2005 à 8:08 PM, Niall Pemberton a écrit :

> I have a few concerns/questions about the initial checkin of
> standalone
> Tiles into the sandbox, which David indicates in the SVN log is
> extracted
> from Struts 1.1:
>
> 1) I'm wondering why this is based on Struts 1.1, rather than the
> current
> version of tiles code? I did a quick scan (for starters) of the
> tiles taglib
> and while there hasn't been a large amount of activity since Struts
> 1.1
> there have been some bug fixes and some other minor changes and it
> seems a
> shame to have to redo these changes rather than copying the current
> versions.
>
> 2) IMO it would be better to use SVN copy to create the initial
> code base -
> seems a shame to loose all the subversion history by adding these
> as new
> artefacts. Since we have  Struts 1.1 versions tagged they could be
> copied
> either from the current versions or the Struts 1.1 versions.
>
> 3) The taglib package has been renamed to "org.apache.taglib.tiles"
> - I'm
> wondering if this will create a confusion with the Jakarta Taglibs
> project
> which uses "org.apache.taglibs.???" package name? Would this not be
> better
> and more consistent as "org.apache.tiles.taglib"?
>
> 4) Similar question about the message resources which are being
> duplicated
> from Struts - are we OK to use the "org.apache.util" package name
> for these
> classes rather than "org.apache.tiles.util"? Also, its probably
> another
> discussion, but maybe these need to be replaced with something else
> (commons
> resources?) rather than duplicating from struts.

Thanks for the comments, Niall. All of your concerns are valid.
Looking through the code, it seems feasible to update the 1.1 code
with code from the latest Struts build. We should also be able to
rename packages.

I won't have time to work on this until after JavaOne, but I agree
that we should make these changes.

We should also start thinking about plugging Struts into the
standalone version of Tiles. I don't think we want to support two
versions of Tiles.

david

Posted by Levieux Cedric <ce...@europatrust.com>.
Sounds fine for me.