Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Troy Kruthoff <tk...@blit.com> on 2008/11/11 21:36:36 UTC

support for massive numbers of databases on a single node

I was reading the Nov 2008 board report on the wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/BoardReportNovember2008
) and a reference to "support for massive numbers of databases on a
single node" caught my attention, as we decided a few months back to
hold off on using couchdb for our next project because our project
requires "massive amounts of databases" and at that time, couch
created a few files for each db (in /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/ by
default), whereas with a RDBMS we could use a table-space concept and
not run into file-system constraints.  I've looked, but can't find any
other mention of this topic.  Does someone know whats up?  In short,
with the multi-key stuff in trunk and support for lots of databases,
I'd rather be relaxing on the couch...

-- troy

Re: support for massive numbers of databases on a single node

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Troy,

When I read that I assumed it was in reference to the work Damien did
on file descriptors. IIRC, there was mailing list discussion about
someone doing huge numbers of databases. Damien just confirmed the
number was up to 500K databases.

HTH,
Paul