Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Qingsheng Ren <re...@apache.org> on 2022/11/02 08:42:08 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Flink release retro

Thanks for starting the discussion Matthias!

I think having a retro after a release cycle would be quite helpful to
standardizing the procedure of the release, and also could avoid new
release managers getting stuck on the same issue that happened before. I
prefer the second option that RMs could open a discussion thread in ML at
the end of the release to collect feedback about the last release cycle and
add them to the release wiki page, which would be quite handy for further
RMs.

Best,
Qingsheng
Ververica (Alibaba)

Posted by Xingbo Huang <hx...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for starting the discussion, Matthias!

When I was the 1.16 release manager, I checked the dev mailing list to see
what the release managers of the previous two versions did throughout the
release cycle. In release 1.16, after each release sync meeting, we would
send a summary email, which can help capture how the release cycle has
progressed. So we may not really need a dedicated retrospective meeting.
But I think it's a good idea to have a wiki to summarize and review what
can be improved after we finish a release. For example, the release cycle
for 1.16 was also longer than expected. It took almost three months from
the feature freeze to our final official release, a month longer than
expected.

Best,
Xingbo

Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com> 于2022年11月3日周四 04:56写道:

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Matthias,

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
I updated the Flink release wiki article [1] as discussed in my previous
email. An explicit request for feedback on the release process will be part
of the release announcement from now onwards.
Additionally, I added a subsection in wrapping up the release where we
suggest creating a summary per release. This summary can include feedback
from contributors but also general issues that popped up during the release
(e.g. the release process taking longer than anticipated and reasons for
it).

@Xingbo Could you take a moment to add a summary section to the 1.16
release wiki page [2]? ...since the memory of that might still be kind of
fresh.

Matthias

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Creating+a+Flink+Release