Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Thiago Veronezi <th...@veronezi.org> on 2013/09/20 04:33:20 UTC

new gui -> code commited.

Hi devs,

I propose a new way of facing the TomEE Web Interface. I would like to make
it a simple extra web application that is not responsible for starting up
the container or managing transactions. I propose it to be just like a tool
for Developers and possibly IT. This new new web application would be
called "tomee-webaccess".

* We would continue having the "tomee-webapp", but it woulnt have any UI.
"tomee-webapp" would focus on services and on being the entry point into
TomEE("http://localhost:8080/tomee").

* The "tomee.war" would be much smaller, and not polluted with non critical
source code.

* Having an extra application that is not dependent of the full server
build makes my development much simpler and faster.

* Not based on websockets. Websockets are cute, but I guess I will wait
until the new Tomcat is ready before adding it back; but not as intensive
as it was before.

For now, the GUI is almost identical to the previous version. It is just
heavy polished. Users should be able to execute "JavaScript" and "Groovy"
scripts. It is also possible to see the log files.

Now the important part: the new web application is Groovy based. I love
this language. Although Groovy is less performant than Java, the GUI isnt
crasy about it.

Another thing: It is Rest based. Simply because I think is more fun. :)
It may be important to note that this makes it impossible to use webaccess
with the "Web Profile" version of the server.

The hole idea is:
* tomee.war -> as simple as possible (important stuff only)
* webaccess.war -> where we would add GUI related code.

Let me know if this is OK.
I plan to remove all the GUI code from "tomee.war" this weekend.

In order to see the application, go to the "tomee-webaccess" directory and
type "make start-tomee".

[image: Inline image 2]

[]s,
Thiago.

Re: new gui -> code commited.

Posted by Thiago Veronezi <th...@veronezi.org>.
>>Ps: groovy jar is big so any issue making the new gui optional?
No problem. In fact, this is what I had in mind. The users could choose to
drop the extra war file or not.
The webaccess (or admin :) ) would not be part of the main distribution,
but it would be another separated download.
The important thing is "tomee.war". The  "webaccess.war" ("admin.war"?) is
only an extra tool.

[],
Thiago.

Re: new gui -> code commited.