Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by "Palmer, Eric" <ep...@richmond.edu> on 2013/01/04 23:20:27 UTC

Interest in Appenders for Amazon Cloud Services?

Hello all, this is my first email to the list.

I mostly code in Java but do some php. I got log4php from pear today and like it a lot. I have a need for appenders for amazon web services SQS (simple que service) and simple db.  Maybe as well their notification service (SNS). I have written an appender today for SQS that works but needs some additional work to be ready for project submission.

Is there interest in a submission for a AWS SQS appender and maybe other AWS appenders?

I also noticed that the git repo may be a mirror so how would I submit a suggested addition. Of course the autoloader needs the class name entry as well.

Let me know if there is interest.

Thanks for log4php

Eric Palmer
Web Services
U of Richmond
Richmond, VA

RE: Interest in Appenders for Amazon Cloud Services?

Posted by "Palmer, Eric" <ep...@richmond.edu>.
I like the addon approach.

To set up a amazon web services account you need a credit card for the account.  You then can set up user with just the privileges that are needed. That way the user's privileges can be revoked at any time and you don't expose any more access to the account than needed.  With AWS this is all very easy. We should be able to also set up monitoring (at least I think we can) for these services so that if someone uses them outside of the project team and sends volumes of transactions through the service at least you will be notified. I will look into that.

Whoever tests the appenders will need to load the AWS SDK for php. They support pear and composer for that.  Currently the 1.5x SDK has an api for SNS, SQS and Smimple DB. The new SDK 2.0 is not full featured yet but when it starts to support there 3 services I will extend the appenders for that very.  The 2.0 version is much better for error handling and detection but the world is using just the 1.5 version for the most part now.

Eric Palmer
Director of Web Services
University of Richmond
Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

RE: Interest in Appenders for Amazon Cloud Services?

Posted by "Palmer, Eric" <ep...@richmond.edu>.
Hello,

I have managed to get log4php set up on my centos 6.x 64 bit system.  I did not yet install mongodb or sqlite. But everything else appears to be set up properly.

I followed the directions here http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4php/SettingUpALinuxEnvironment except I adapted to centos since centos uses yum and not apt-get.

I did discover I needed ant installed and php needed mbstring.  Once I got that all taken care of mvn site worked. I do get one test error
     [exec] There was 1 error:
     [exec]
     [exec] 1) LoggerAppenderRollingFileTest::testRolloverWithCompression
     [exec] filesize(): stat failed for /WWW/log4php/target/temp/phpunit/TEST-rolling.txt
     [exec]
     [exec] /WWW/log4php/src/main/php/appenders/LoggerAppenderRollingFile.php:223
     [exec] /WWW/log4php/src/main/php/appenders/LoggerAppenderFile.php:165
     [exec] /WWW/log4php/src/main/php/LoggerAppender.php:85
     [exec] /WWW/log4php/src/main/php/Logger.php:323
     [exec] /WWW/log4php/src/test/php/appenders/LoggerAppenderRollingFileTest.php:157
     [exec]
            FAILURES!
            Tests: 260, Assertions: 904, Errors: 1, Skipped: 24.

Not sure what is causing that error but /WWW/log4php/target/temp/phpunit/TEST-rolling.txt is not in the folder.  Shouldn't I be getting other test errors for PDO and MongoDB?

My boss said okay for contributing and so tomorrow I will work on the SQS appender.  I will try to get our attorney to read the wavier this week.

I'm looking forward to contributing some Amazon Web Services appenders.

Eric Palmer
Director of Web Services
University of Richmond

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Interest in Appenders for Amazon Cloud Services?

Posted by "Palmer, Eric" <ep...@richmond.edu>.
thanks

It is going to take me some time anyway. I'm busy with work and
contributing
to another open source project.

Eric

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Palmer, Eric" <ep...@richmond.edu>.
I finally got permission from our attorney and have submitted the ICLA.
Let me know when you get notified and I will begin to work on the
appender for amazon cloud Simple Notification Services and
then the SimpleDB appender.

Eric F. Palmer
U of Richmond

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.