Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com> on 2005/08/28 17:32:39 UTC

New Forrest site to add to list!

Hi,

I'm developing a new site in forrest: The Summit Journal

Can we get listed on the Forrest site http://forrest.apache.org/live-sites.html?

 I am wondering about some upgrades:
 in xdoc files, to add  <a> tag with target="blank" for branding purposes so
we can have html links without having users go off our site, which now, we
have to make all links non-html due to this constraint. My xmlspy checks the online dtd which doesn't allow it it seems, but it is allowed in the /meta/*.xml files. Would be nice to have one standard.

 Any localization? I need to implement translations.

 I think Forrest is pretty sweet.

 cheers,
 Holly Edelson

 www.thesummitjournal.com
 www.greenjaguar.com
 www.adventuresummit.com

Re: New Forrest site to add to list!

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Helena Edelson schrieb:
> Hi
> Just tested this:
> http://forrest.apache.org/dtdx/document-v20.html#link-class
>
> doesn't accept target param in formats:
>
> <a class="fork" href="../index.html"> <../index.html>
> <a class="jump" href="../index.html"> <../index.html>
>
> for Document V2.0.
> This is key for branding one site and offering a link to another while
> not directing user off the original site.

about this kind of branding please consider
  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/open_new_windows.html
  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

just a web-usability perspective ;-)
Johannes

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Re: New Forrest site to add to list!

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
I should have asked.  It'll be in the next time it gets published.
Thanks,
--tim

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 8/29/05, Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com> wrote:
> can we be on the Example Sites page of Forrest Site?
> http://forrest.apache.org/live-sites.html
> ??
>
> our site is http://thesummitjournal.com/
>
> many thanks to all the Forrest developers.
>
> Holly

You are, kind of.  I've made the addition, I've just not yet learned
how to publish it live.  A fine time to learn I suppose....  either
way, it should show up in the next day or so.
--tim

New Forrest site to add to list!

Re: target="_blank" and other tricks (Re: New Forrest site to add to list!)

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.
Thank you.
I have a clean javascript that pops up a pre-sized window but I don't
think I can implement it on forrest and frankly, i hate javascript.
I get what you are saying and agree, it's just painful to intentionally
provide a link that sends users off a site.

Holly

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Helena Edelson wrote:
> I am wondering about some upgrades:
> in xdoc files, to add  <a> tag with target="blank" for branding purposes so
> we can have html links without having users go off our site, which now, we
> have to make all links non-html due to this constraint. My xmlspy checks
> the online dtd which doesn't allow it it seems, but it is allowed in the
> /meta/*.xml files. Would be nice to have one standard.

http://forrest.apache.org/dtdx/document-v20.html#link-class

> Any localization? I need to implement translations.

There are examples of localisation in the seed-site. If you have a
specific problem please feel free to ask and we will do our best to help.

> I think Forrest is pretty sweet.

:-))

Thanks for your support.

Ross

plug lenya into forrest (Re: New Forrest site to add to list!)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 12:08 -0400, Helena Edelson wrote:
> ... Am excited to plug lenya into it for a new site I am building for
> a client.

How are you going to do this? We have threads over in dev that are
trying to solve this problem. Maybe they are helpful for you.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: New Forrest site to add to list!

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.
THanks! I spend quite a lot of time on the xsl pages, the css and
site2xhtml and renderlogo pages. I have run into some frustrating things
that I'm hoping will change soon, things affecting branding like links
needing a target="_blank" but generally this is a very powerful
framework and I see great potential in what I can do with it. I can
re-code some of the back-end and leverage all the superb work all the
developers have done. It's truly very cool. Am excited to plug lenya
into it for a new site I am building for a client. It's so easy to test
with in jetty and deploy on tomcat. the modularity makes my changes
highly efficient. love that.

Holly

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.