Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Danilo Gurovich <dg...@LowerMyBills.com> on 2004/07/08 23:41:10 UTC

RE: why do we need to integrate tomcat with apache webserver and how.pls urgent

We're running a fully-functional Enterprise web site, and we've made the
decision to go with a Tomcat 5/Apache 2 build.

Apache's logging was needed for our data warehouse, so we decided to use it,
also there's the modules that allow for stronger security than with Tomcat 5
alone.

That said, we've "sieged" our system with multiple URLs and found that
Tomcat 5 alone will blow the doors off the Tomcat/Apache/modjk2 connector
set up, by a factor of 2, with much more reliable connections (although the
Tomcat/Apache set-up had about a 1% failure rate with no 500s, the Tomcat
alone had no failures at all).

We also found that the Apache1/Tomcat4/modJk setup had various load
problems, and although it had more documentation available, was not very
easy to set up.

For Tomcat5/Apache2/modjk2, we found the following URL helpful...

http://www.reliablepenguin.com/clients/misc/tomcat/

hope this helps you out.

Danilo Gurovich
Manager, Web Development