Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Scott Rickard <sc...@gte.net> on 2001/03/02 23:27:55 UTC

Problem with Java 1.3 on AIX 4.3.3

Hi -
    I'm a newbie to this list and ant, just trying to get my first setup
on an AIX 4.3.3 test environment.  I have built two versions of ant-1.2
on my box, using the two available JDK's I have installed there.  The
version built with IBM JDK 1.1.8 works just fine.
    I built another version for Java 1.3.0(as some new development code
I'm working on requires the newer api), with which I am having troubles,
and I am slightly confused.  When I built with Java 1.3, I had to edit
ant's default 'build.xml' file to set the compiler type to 'modern' to
keep the build process from issuing bogus commands to the 1.3 javac.  I
have seen in the FAQ's some older entries regarding the 'modern'
compiler not being implemented yet, but this info looked old, and from
searching the current posts on the archive, it seems I should be able to
use this. Also, if the modern compiler does not work, could someone
explain to me how ant-1.2 was able to use it without problems while
building itself?
    I have verified that my path and classpath contain all necessary
items, and that my JAVA_HOME is set to the 1.30 user environment.  Here
is the output from my shell commands:

/home/srmmlm/sourcetree/srm4.6/java>echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/java1.3
/home/srmmlm/sourcetree/srm4.6/java>java -version
java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)
Classic VM (build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build ca130-20001124 (JIT
enabled: jitc))
/home/srmmlm/sourcetree/srm4.6/java>ant -buildfile srm4.6_build_j1.3.xml
-verbose
Ant version 1.2 compiled on March 2 2001

Buildfile: srm4.6_build_j1.3.xml
Detected Java Version: 1.3
Detected OS: AIX
Project base dir set to: /home/srmmlm/sourcetree/srm4.6/java
Build sequence for target `dist' is [prepare, compile, dist]
Complete build sequence is [prepare, compile, dist, clean]
    [javac] Compiling 410 source files to
/home/srmmlm/sourcetree/srm4.6/java/build
    [javac] Modern compiler is not available - using classic compiler
    [javac] Using classic compiler

I'm going to also try downloading an alpha release, and see if this
helps.  If that should be the solution, my apologies for the waste of
bandwidth.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Scott Rickard
Lexington, Ky
scott.rickard@gte.net

Re: Problem with Java 1.3 on AIX 4.3.3

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Scott,

could you please run a build file with a

<echo message="${java.class.path}" />

task? tools.jar of your JDK 1.3 should be included and *no* tools.jar
or classes.zip of _any other_ JDK. Is this the case?

Next, the code that falls back from "modern" to "classic" when
"modern" cannot be found has been introduced by me. Prior to that Ant
would have invoked the modern compiler when running in an 1.3 JVM or
fail if it couldn't do so. The reason why I implemented the fallback
was, that Ant failed to load the modern compiler in a pre-release of
IBM's JDK 1.3 for Linux. Sounds familiar?

But before we blame it on the JDK, lets search for problems in your
setup or Ant itself.

Stefan