Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Russell Scheerer <ru...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/22 22:34:46 UTC

RDB DAS default queries

I read over the white paper for RDB DAS and noticed the clients must provide
certain data such as Primary Key either pragmatically or through a config
file for queries such as update/delete. Is it possible automatically look
this information up using JDBC to alleviate the need to provide this
information? I'm thinking of all the convenient introspecting Ruby Rails
does for the developer and thought it might be nice to have similar
function.

--
Russell Scheerer

Re: RDB DAS default queries

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@qwest.net>.
Hi Russell,

I think that this is a great idea for an environment/framework that
could be built around the RDB DAS much like - this may be a stretch -
the Ruby Rails framework is built around ActiveRecord.   In this new
framework, the DAS could be employed to read Database schema information
and silently build up the required config info for the client in a
bottom up type of scenario.   Likewise, this framework could support
top-down development by creating needed tables on the fly.

Another cue we could take from Rails is the emphasis put on "convention
over configuration" and we do this now to a some extent.  For example,
if you do not specify insert/update/delete statements in the config file
then they will be generated for you.  But, we could go further down this
road and do things like assuming a key named "id" is the Primary Key.

Thanks for your interest,

--Kevin