Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com> on 2013/01/25 13:57:01 UTC

facebook api

Hello,

Our company makes facebook games.  We are considering releasing an AIR version of one of our games.  We have considered using this library [1].  The writeup says that it is "fully supported by Facebook and Adobe".  This begs me to ask the logical question... Is it (or could it be) supported by Apache Flex?  Social gaming is a very visible arena, and I would love to be one of the first to be able to announce that we have a multimillion user Facebook game fully based on Apache Flex.  I have already started testing to see if there are any benefits to upgrade our codebase to 4.9.0, and I'm curious what the community's opinion would be on our ability to use this library in a possible AIR app, in conjunction with 4.9.0.

Is this library going to stay with Adobe and cease progress at 4.6, or, will it continue to be supported by the Apache Flex community?

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://code.google.com/p/facebook-actionscript-api/

RE: facebook api

Posted by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com>.
I ask here, because our *web* version uses the Flex sdk...  And we would like to have a common code base.  So, we were wondering if there was any "official" opinion on the ability of this library to operate in a web app built with the Apache Flex SDK in a future web version, which of course would (in theory) be sharing a large portion of its code/assets, etc with our (still theoretical) AIR app...  It seemed wise to seek clarification from the various Adobe members of this list if they were aware if Adobe has long term plans to actively maintain this library, prior to deciding on its level of usefulness to us.

Re: facebook api

Posted by "Dev Lists [Basgrani]" <de...@basgrani.com>.
Hi,

Re: facebook api

Posted by Nick Tsitlakidis <ni...@perfectedz.com>.
The library is functional. I'm using it myself as well. There are problems
though.
For example I keep getting javascript warnings that some methods are marked
as deprecated by Facebook. And the library is using these methods.

The latest available build seems to have been released in October 2011
(funny date for the flash community) and I see no other activity since then
to fix issues so I'm a little concerned myself.

I've been thinking about implementing my own as3 wrappers for Facebook's
javascript sdk but I think I'll wait some more before going down that road.

Regarding your questions about having a common code base, I think it can be
done. I did something similar a year ago with a small fb app I wanted to
port to Android. No major problems during the transition.

--
Nick Tsitlakidis,

CEO and Software Architect at Perfect Edge LTD.
www.perfectedz.com

RE: facebook api

Posted by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com>.

Re: facebook api

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: facebook api

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

RE: facebook api

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
When it comes to Facebook, if you want to keep your game ahead of the curve
I strongly suggest making the calls directly.  As you noted, Facebook tends
to change their apis and sometimes even their basic assumptions on a very
frequent basis.   I've been burned more than once when trying to use a
wrapper,  even ones created by Facebook. (For example on the windows
phone)  It really pays to create the calls yourself and learn their direct
calls and batched calls.

RE: facebook api

RE: facebook api

Posted by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com>.