Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Dennis Byrne <de...@dbyrne.net> on 2007/04/18 00:46:46 UTC

svn externals

I think I've asked Sean this before but I can't remember his response.  What
was the verdict on why we don't use svn externals very much?  Didn't this
have something to do with losing history?

--
Dennis Byrne

Re: svn externals

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
If you ask on Infrastructure, you'll get a good answer (if nothing
else, I can forward another message posted to infrastructure earlier).

I do know that all of the older tags using externals broke :-)   So
that'd probably be why we don't use them anymore.

Re: svn externals

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/17/07, Dennis Byrne <de...@dbyrne.net> wrote:

> I think I've asked Sean this before but I can't remember his response.  What
> was the verdict on why we don't use svn externals very much?  Didn't this
> have something to do with losing history?

I don't know what Sean's reason is, but my objection to them has to do
with tagging.  Externals definitions are not updated when you tag
(which is just a copy) so unless you're  careful to update them, you
can end up with pieces of a "tag" still pointing at trunk.

Much as I dislike the complicated "shared" setup, it's better than
using externals.

--
Wendy