Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by vonnagy <iv...@vadio.com> on 2016/10/06 16:21:09 UTC

Submit job with driver options in Mesos Cluster mode

I am trying to submit a job to spark running in a Mesos cluster. We need to
pass custom java options to the driver and executor for configuration, but
the driver task never includes the options. Here is an example submit.

GC_OPTS="-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
         -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -Xloggc:$appdir/gc.out
         -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
         -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled "

EXEC_PARAMS="-Dloglevel=DEBUG -Dkafka.broker-address=${KAFKA_ADDRESS}
-Dredis.master=${REDIS_MASTER} -Dredis.port=${REDIS_PORT}

spark-submit \
  --name client-events-intake \
  --class ClientEventsApp \
  --deploy-mode cluster \
  --driver-java-options "${EXEC_PARAMS} ${GC_OPTS}" \
  --conf "spark.ui.killEnabled=true" \
  --conf "spark.mesos.coarse=true" \
  --conf "spark.driver.extraJavaOptions=${EXEC_PARAMS}" \
  --conf "spark.executor.extraJavaOptions=${EXEC_PARAMS}" \
  --master mesos://someip:7077 \
  --verbose \
  some.jar

When the driver task runs in Mesos it is creating the following command:

sh -c 'cd spark-1*;  bin/spark-submit --name client-events-intake --class
ClientEventsApp --master mesos://someip:5050 --driver-cores 1.0
--driver-memory 512M ../some.jar '

There are no options for the driver here, thus the driver app blows up
because it can't find the java options. However, the environment variables
contain the executor options:

SPARK_EXECUTOR_OPTS -> -Dspark.executor.extraJavaOptions=-Dloglevel=DEBUG

Any help would be great. I know that we can set some "spark.*" settings in
default configs, but these are not necessarily spark related. This is not an
issue when running the same logic outside of a Mesos cluster in Spark
standalone mode.

Thanks!