Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2017/09/20 14:13:17 UTC

Regional Apache

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> wrote:
> As we are trying to build up a presence in other regional conferences I think it would be good to find out about and promote any ASF relevant activities that they have.
>
> Thanks for the offer of help and will keep it in mind. Jacques, Herve and Narcisse are currently working with me offline on the French details for the conference.

If we're doing some comdev work regionally, would it make sense to
start creating regional comdev mailing lists as a need arises?  (for
example dach@community.apache.org for the combined German speaking
parts of Europe) For the solutions.hamburg Apache we spent a lot of
time off-list too, because the 100+ mails about details would've been
a burden for the many comdev subscribers who weren't involved.

The result wasn't bad, but:
A.) We might have gotten more Germans involved if there had been a
base of Germans subscribed "listening in" on the list.  Especially
when it came to putting together a German translation of the Apache
brochure.
B.) None of that communication is now archived or visible for
individuals or tools.

I know that YAL (yet another list) can be annoying; and it won't work
if nobody's interested enough to subscribe.  Since the regional
approach to community building is so much more cost effective, it
seems to me to be the way of the future for Apache, and this might
help support the approach. Other opinions?

Regards,
Myrle

Re: Regional Apache

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Am .09.2017, 16:13 Uhr, schrieb Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> wrote:
>> As we are trying to build up a presence in other regional conferences I
>> think it would be good to find out about and promote any ASF relevant
>> activities that they have.
>>
>> Thanks for the offer of help and will keep it in mind. Jacques, Herve
>> and Narcisse are currently working with me offline on the French
>> details for the conference.
>>

> If we're doing some comdev work regionally, would it make sense to
> start creating regional comdev mailing lists as a need arises?  (for
> example dach@community.apache.org for the combined German speaking
> parts of Europe) For the solutions.hamburg Apache we spent a lot of
> time off-list too, because the 100+ mails about details would've been
> a burden for the many comdev subscribers who weren't involved.
>
> The result wasn't bad, but:
> A.) We might have gotten more Germans involved if there had been a
> base of Germans subscribed "listening in" on the list.  Especially
> when it came to putting together a German translation of the Apache
> brochure.
> B.) None of that communication is now archived or visible for
> individuals or tools.
>
> I know that YAL (yet another list) can be annoying; and it won't work
> if nobody's interested enough to subscribe.  Since the regional
> approach to community building is so much more cost effective, it
> seems to me to be the way of the future for Apache, and this might
> help support the approach. Other opinions?

I'm very interested in such a group, even we have to keep a eye that we
don't split the community. But I think, regional Group are a good way to
get people in. I see often the problem that peoples have no idea how big
Apache is and how many projects we have.

Regards Raphael

Re: Regional Apache

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
I understand the rationale behind, but there are a few things to consider.

*) sometimes people are interested in getting an 'excuse' to travel to different countries.
And talking at an event where other ASF people are also around might be a welcome opportunity for them.
We e.g. might not have enjoyed the presence of Greg in Hamburg as he would simply not have been aware.

*) It's also nice to get feedback from other countries and communities.
That might even help with organising your own events by getting tips and feedback.

What about just use tagging in the subject instead? e.g. [GER], [AT], [UK] etc?

LieGrue,
strub